CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
Eric Ford

Profile:
Morning PT Regime for Military

Hello Everyone,

Now that Im a Squad Leader I have to give PT on a daily basis to a 6 member squad including myself. My question is I want to incorporate CrossFit into the program and Im having a hard time trying to put it together.

The daily PT has to meet the units fitness requirements, which are:

Must last at a minumal 1 hour (0630-0730)
Must Include The Army Warmup and Cooldown period which last for about 5-7 minutes each.
5 Min Warmup
50 Min Workout Period
5 Min Cooldown
Equipment Available:
Pull Up Bars
Dip Bars

Running Routes:
Street- Includes a 5K route, 2 mile route, and hills
Trail- From light to moderate terrain negotiation

Any help in developing a program that meets these needs would be helpful.

Eric
Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
Nick Repertorio

Profile:
Re: Morning PT Regime for Military

Eric, heres a list of body weight workouts you can do with your squad. Depending on how many pull-up and dip bars you have, you can run a group session where everybody goes at the same time, or maybe go in groups. Since some of these workouts are nowhere near the 50 minutes you need to fill, breaking it up into two or more heats will help you reach your time. A tip to also reach your one hour is making the warmup/stretching times longer, just a thought. Enjoy...
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38312 (w/f/s)
Old 12-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Although CF's metcons tend to take 10-20 minutes, there is still benefit from metcons that last 45 minutes or more. I could see how for military purposes this is actually a significant benefit since military personell will be in situations that require quite a bit more endurance than most althletes (marathon/triathalon, ect excluded of course).

Another valid approach would be to work several very short metcons (1-3 minutes) into a workout that is otherwise more endurance-oriented. Run a mile, give them a short rest, then a timed 3 rounds 10 burpees/10 pullups, then go run another mile and do something else... it'd be brutal.

Sprints/intervals can be used within the above also of course.

Dedicating a portion of your hour to a limited amount of skill work like pistols, handstands, levers, L-sits/hangs could have some benefit.

Any possibility of getting some other inexpensive or easy-to-build equipment? plyo boxes, cones, ladders, jump ropes? With a few things like that you could set up some nice agility drills and obstacle courses.

I think the key to any group workout for the military is to make them competitive, but ensure that they are competitive in different ways so that the same 1 or 2 people don't win every time.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Eric.... one word ....sandbags.

Since your occupation is about toss big brass cans around. Sandbag workouts could be an asset to your job.

Your battle positions are sandbag constructed.. so they get used to tossing them around. Loading the guns, humping rounds, loading the storage points the sand bags would mimic your job also to a tee.
The sandbag would be an excellent tool. 30 minutes of strength based workouts, followed by 10 of high met cons, then a quick 2 mile run for the remainder of time.

Since your going to have sandbags at your QM ... you now have strength tools. find a tractor tire, couple of sledge hammers, couple of .50 cal ammo boxes with sand ... couple of sand bag stations.. you have a circuit.

besides ... the innovation would earn you some serious points with your supervisors.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
David Vessey

Profile:

Some resources from the journal:

A bunch of Frag O's for group/team workouts:
http://journal.crossfit.com/search.p...0&search=frago

Austere fitness program:
http://journal.crossfit.com/2006/08/...ere-prog-1.tpl

good luck!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Although CF's metcons tend to take 10-20 minutes, there is still benefit from metcons that last 45 minutes or more. I could see how for military purposes this is actually a significant benefit since military personell will be in situations that require quite a bit more endurance than most althletes (marathon/triathalon, ect excluded of course).
I've done things for the military that I never would have done if it were just an endurance event, so I'll have to disagree with that last assertion. But it's always with about 100 lbs. of stuff on my body, like a rucksack and weapon, so it requires a bigger frame than a distance runner's. "Endurance" is more than a code word for tiny and thin, and that's exactly what working out for an hour every day will get you. Either you're working intensely or you're holding something back, and the best way to get anaerobic (phosphagenic and glycolytic) power is through intense strength training and short metcons.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
Dennis Godfrey

Profile:

It does suck when units make you stick to the 1 hour thing. I had a commander that would make our platoon sgt give us counseling statements if he saw us beak 5 min early. I would for sure go thru the army warm up then do the crossfit warm up. The do as many rounds as you can in 20 min work outs are good. Filling up water cans is another option for weights. Be creative. Wear your IBA while doing things. I also agree with earlier statement of making it a competition. Take the time to teach your squad how to do proper movements. Clean odd objects. there is a video on that in the demo section.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Ed Haywood

Profile:

A typical crossfit workout takes about an hour too: 20 min warmup, 20 min WOD, and 20 min skill work and cool down. And there are several WODs, like Murph and Eva, that can take nearly an hour by themselves.

There is a lot to be said for the standard, time-proven PT model of a 10-15 min warmup and stretch, 20 min for a short hard run or intervals, followed by 20 min of bodyweight strength exercises and a 5 min cool down period. Usually PT sucks anyways, because people do nothing but pushups and situps for the bodyweight portion, and the run turns into a routine formation slog.

The key to good PT is variety. PT will be great because you know crossfit bodyweight exercises ... tabata squats, kipping pullups, HSPU, box jumps, the list is endless, and variety is king. Make a list of all the possible exercises on butcher paper, get your squad in a circle, and make each man in turn pick an exercise for everyone to do.

For the run, never run in formation ... run at own pace, and make it a race. Or run intervals. Terrain runs are awesome, especially if you mix in bodyweight exercise stations. Find a nice steep hill on the trail and run interval races up it. If your post has one of those "par courses" with the exercise stations on a running trail, give it a shot too.

Buddy relay races are great too. Pair up and do 25m down and back races, with laps of crab walk, bear walk, wheelbarrow, and firemans' carry. Do lots of firemans carry and piggyback carry races. Stop in the middle of runs and do fireman's carry.

To solve the intensity problem on a 1 hour workout, always end the "hard" part of your workout with some kind of competitive event that forces everyone to really gut it out or 5 minutes or so. A final relay race where the winners get a bye on their next CQ duty, or something like that, will do the trick.

If you go hard and finish early, no biggie, just get in a circle and do some stretching and cooldown while you talk about the upcoming day.