CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
George Watson

Profile:
Lingering pain in my upper left leg/thigh near waist, front of leg

I aggravated my hip or thigh two weeks ago when we maxed on clean and jerks. I think I dropped too low into the squat or something. Anyway, I get a sharp pain in the front of my leg when I squat, raise my leg to my chest, or raise it and rotate it away from my body.

It feels like tendon pain rather than muscle pain. Although, I'm no expert. High school bio doesn't help too much in this case.

Are there any stretches I can do to work it out? I've stayed off of it for a week, but it still hurts.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
John Fragoso

Profile:
Re: Lingering pain in my upper left leg/thigh near waist, front of leg

George,
Sounds like it may be your psoas muscle. (I'm assuming you mean thigh instead of leg) The psoas muscle is a deep hip flexor that runs form the mid spine through the front of the hip/waist area and connects to the femur at the lesser trochanter. So it will likely be painful if you bring knee to chest with or without resistance. Rotating the hip outward will add the the pain if it is the psoas. The stretch for this is similar to a standing lunge. The involved leg should be back with the foot slightly rotated inward and the uninvolved leg forward. Then rotate the hips into extension. Keep your posture upright, not bent forward. The key is focusing on hip extension, don't just extend the lower back. Soft-tissue work via massage or active release techniques may also be needed if the muslce won't release with stretching- just have to find someone who knows how to treat it. Good luck
Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Wade Smith

Profile:

Lay down on top of a lacrosse ball (or other hard similarly shaped object) and let it DIG deeply into the tight muscle area(s). You'll be amazed at how 5 minutes of pain can almost immediately alleviate issues like this. It does for me, at least. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
George Watson

Profile:

The ball/foam rolling/stretching seems to have helped. I did deep body weight squats today without too much discomfort.

Thanks!