CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Michael Whities

Profile:
Peanut Butter sandwiches before bed...

Playing off this thread:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20754 (WFS)

I used to eat a wheat bread peanut butter sandwich and a large glass of milk every night RIGHT before bed. I figured there was two to three table spoons of peanut butter on the sandwich. Obviously, I never woke up hungry and I seemed to feel better but, the weird thing was, I kept loosing weight.

Granted, at that time, I was working out four days a week and power lifting on one to two days with one rest day (or two, depending on power lifting). After I had stopped eating the PB sandwiches, I actually gained weight (fat) back.

Is there a connection there between eating just before bed and losing the weight with it? (I had started out at 355lbs and my lowest weight was 276lbs. When I reached that weight, I started Spinning (Johnny G Spin instructor) about nine times a week. (Some days were twice a day.) I continued that routine and stopped eating the sandwiches. That's when I started gaining weight. Only eating "clean"...)

Thanks,

Michael

EDIT: This was whole wheat bread (sugar free) and Peter Pan Creamy PB.

Last edited by Michael Whities : 12-18-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Brandon Petersen

Profile:
Re: Peanut Butter sandwiches before bed...

I am def interested in reading replies on this; as I am also still questioning the meal before bed or what to eat etc. . .
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Adam Lauver

Profile:

I do something similar to what you are talking about and having the same results. I normally make a protein shake you could call it. 1 cup of oats, 2 tbsp peanut butter(natural of course), and about a half scoop of protein powder for some flavor.

Did this for awhile to try and gain weight. I ended up losing weight.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this topic.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Michael Whities

Profile:

I haven't started CFing yet but, I plan to start it this weekend or the next week. I've considered starting to eat the sandwiches but, I'd like to wait till I'm actually working out so I won't store the calories.

It's seems counter intuitive but, I seriously think it works. Maybe it helps feed the body while it's repairing it's self.

Any ideas out there?

Michael
Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Carbs before bed are supposed to help you sleep. I don;t have details on why. If we assume this is true, then it would seem like the extra repair your body can do and the extra hormones produces would be responsible for the weight lose.

You would also think that if you are hungry while you sleep, your sleep would be more restless, hence not as restorative.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Carbs before bed are supposed to help you sleep. I don;t have details on why. If we assume this is true, then it would seem like the extra repair your body can do and the extra hormones produces would be responsible for the weight lose.
Perhaps it is because bread is high-glycemic and you'll feel a crash several minutes after consuming it, making you more sleepy?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Alberto Velazquez

Profile:

The 47(!) page long Breyer's thread goes over this phenomenon. Pretty sure it's wfs, but I haven't gone through the whole thing.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Maybe because it is carb heavy and causes a big release of blood sugar and causes that crash that makes you sleepy? As for weight loss im not sure, how many carbs are you taking in daily? The conditions are probably right to cause weight loss. Is the Caloric intake lower than usual? Of course there are dozens of hormonal responses and other things going on when you sleep and your body is repairing itself and using up energy.

I know that even when I eat lots of food before bed and sometimes wake up lighter weight then normal. Water intake? Glycogen stores? could be lots of reasons.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

This apparent phenomenon seems to be working on a number of people around here quite well. I was wondering about one factor of sleep though regarding hormonal stimulation. I thought I read recently that eating just before bed stunts the GH release that occurs during your sleep cycle. Has anybody else heard this?

Although I guess that's not a huge deal for all of you that are trying to lean out.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Kevin Perry

Profile:

I have not heard about stunted GH response but I have not read into it either. I don't kow how much timing really plays a role into stimulation but I doubt it's really as much as some people say, it more than likely has to do with the quality of food intake that stimulates the hormonal response. Crap food makes ya feel like crap, good food makes your body happy and grow.

Of course peanut butter and jelly... thats a tough one.