CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Eddie Watts

Profile:
example of a paleo diet?

i am thinking of ditching the bread as a prelude to ditching all grains.
however i have no idea of what to have with my food instead so i'm turning to those of you who have already made this step.
i will still be eating dairy, although i may well drop that too at a later date.

reasons for trying one/both is that my family have strong allergies to wheat and/or dairy (depending on which family member you look at). while i am not aware of any such issues i may be suffering mild side effects but not be aware of it.
current diet is as follows: (all bread is soya and linseed)
breakfast:75g oats, 35g raisins, 25g nuts, milk, toast, 2 eggs
2 slices of bread, tuna, cottage cheese, sesame seed oil, orange, apple
post workout banana, whey
2 slices of bread, tuna, cottage cheese, sesame seed oil, apple
yogurt, cottage cheese, 25g nuts, 25g oats,with some whey mixed in. orange
evening meal is meat and vegetables with little to no carbs
snack cottage cheese, whey, 50g nuts

i'm posting this up so people can get an idea of what i'm used to eating, i know it is not paleo by any means. i do weigh everything...got into the habit and it just comes natural now.
any ideas?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: example of a paleo diet?

So what exactly are you asking?

Do you want someone to give you a detailed example of what one eats during the day while on the Paleo diet?

If you want to get rid of the bread then get rid of it and replace it with veggies.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

I ditched bread too. I think it lets you get lots more vitamins by filling up on better stuff, and not on the bread. So, for example, instead of having tuna on bread, I just eat a bigger portion of tuna in a bowl, and then have a whole bunch of vegetables on the side.

So basically, just eat more of everything else that's healthy.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

The paleo diet isn't complicated, just ask yourself, what would have been possible to cook and eat before agriculture and grain processing. That leaves nuts, fruits, vegetable, berries, and animal and fish meats and organs.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Well you certainly DO eat a lot of bread. I'm assuming that since you didn't mention weight loss, you are happy with your weight and therefore wish to intake about the same number of calories.

For breakfast, change to eating a 4 egg omelette with veggies in it, bacon, maybe a little cheese. A fruit. And a glass of whole milk.

For lunch simply remove the bread and put all that stuff on a bed of lettuce, mix in some other salad veggies, and have a small handful of nuts to make up the calories lost in bread.

You appear to eat an awful lot of dairy - I don't necessarily agree with the paleo stance on 'no dairy' but I think having it six times a day is overkill.

Eat more meat and less cottage cheese. What about avocados, those pack quite a caloric punch and could easily replace bread and make salads more interesting (if you like them)

can't go wrong with whole eggs - relatively cheap source of protein AND fat. Delicious. Versatile.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #6
Lynn Brooks

Profile:

My husband and I have been eating more or less paleo for nearly a year, and we love it -- lost weight, look good, feel good. Typical day's meals for us:
Breakfast - oatmeal with fresh fruits and nuts (walnuts, almonds) and home-made smoothy (yummy!)

Lunch - huge salad with canned fish and home-made dressing, often including avocado. Fruit for dessert.

Dinner - variety of fish, poultry or meat in some kind of sauce and lots of cooked veggies. Fruit for dessert.

Fruits and nuts for snacks. A small glass of wine at dinner or bedtime.

There are very good recipes in the Paleo Diet book, on the Paleo Diet website, and in such cookbooks as Craig Claibourne low-salt diet, How to Cook Everything, The Best Recipe, etc. Some recipes require some adapting, but you can come up with really delicious and "legal" meals.

It takes discipline, but it's worth it. And we do eat out now and then, and "let go" a bit.

Lynn
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Eddie Watts

Profile:

what i was looking for was examples, specific examples, of what i could eat in place of bread.
i know vegetables, but that is a large area of food sources covered!

thanks laura and lynn for your responses, and everyone else for that matter.

a lot of prep work needed then.
what do people do about that?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Watts View Post
what i was looking for was examples, specific examples, of what i could eat in place of bread.
i know vegetables, but that is a large area of food sources covered!

thanks laura and lynn for your responses, and everyone else for that matter.

a lot of prep work needed then.
what do people do about that?
No friggin prep work.
Cook your protein, add some fat, eat veggies/nuts/seeds/fruit anyway you want.

Learn how to cook, get some books, use the Internet, watch a cooking channel, get a girl friend (or partner) that likes to cook.

Send me a plane ticket, I'll cook for ya for awhile. You do like Tongue, yes?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I don't do a lot of prep really - I eat pre-cooked hard boiled eggs for breakfast often and/or leftover meat, fruit etc.

For lunch, I make my salad the night before.

For dinner, I cook something - meat, veggie etc. and use the leftover meat for lunch, or if it is soemthing like stew (i made last night) then I don't need to make a salad, I just bring that.

I'm not on the 'paleo' diet however, I eat dairy and oatmeal, bread not so much.

Plus I only eat 3x a day so that makes it easier. Eating 7 times a day must be a bit annoying, no?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
I don't do a lot of prep really - I eat pre-cooked hard boiled eggs for breakfast often and/or leftover meat, fruit etc.

For lunch, I make my salad the night before.

For dinner, I cook something - meat, veggie etc. and use the leftover meat for lunch, or if it is soemthing like stew (i made last night) then I don't need to make a salad, I just bring that.

I'm not on the 'paleo' diet however, I eat dairy and oatmeal, bread not so much.

Plus I only eat 3x a day so that makes it easier. Eating 7 times a day must be a bit annoying, no?
Laura; Looking hot in your AV, but the other guy is taking up wayyyyy too much space. How about more of you, less of him. Just my unasked two cents....