CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
24 Hour Fitness

This is a spinoff from another thread but I felt like this rant deserved it's own thread. Here's my quote from the thread "Pricing out a home gym":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
I've heard it justified that you can pay for it with the savings for a couple years worth of gym dues. That doesn't work for me because my globo gym membership only cost me $17/month for all gym access. If I cancelled my gym membership it would take me roughly 6.25 years to recoup my costs for the garage gym. In addition, there happens to be one of this particular gym about every 10 miles across the whole metropolitan area I live in. And I work all over the metroplex so I am always within 10 minutes of a gym.
You may be asking, why spend $1200 on a garage gym when I have a globo gym deal like this?

This has been bothering me for a while so I'd like to go ahead and throw 24 Hour Fitness under the bus. You may contact them at http://www.24hourfitness.com/ (WFS). The below observations pertain to every 24 Hour Fitness gym location I have visited in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex in the last 10 years.

1. Only one squat rack which I spend 95% of my work out using. I'm SOL if someone else is using the squat rack but as noted at #2 below that isn't a problem most of the time.
2. ****** bag factor. I have never in my life seen someone do a proper squat and I have been working out at 24 Hour fitness chains for nearly a decade.
3. The weight plates are not round but rather are octagonal shaped which makes pulling anything from the floor (i.e. deadlift, clean, snatch) really annoying because the weight plates don't roll.
4. They don't have a traditional pullup bar. It's one of those stupid pull up stations that just has neutral grip or the wide grip with no bar in the middle. I have no idea if my chest is touching the bar when pulling up. And no, their choice of Squat rack doesn't have a traditional pull up bar either.
5. No bumper plates.
6. Barbells don't have knurling all the way out to the flanges for snatch grip.
7. *** guys hanging out in the shower area. This isn't a joke, I am serious. A couple of the 24 hour locations have tried putting up curtains but the *** guys poke holes in the curtains. I guess they peak through the holes and do their thing behind the curtain. Some of the newest 24 hour locations actually put doors on the showers.

I was going to make it a "10 reasons I hate 24 hour" list but I have to get back to work. Feel free to finish my list. It makes me feel better about spending nearly $1200 on a garage gym.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Ardi Shero

Profile:
Re: 24 Hour Fitness

The gym I used to go to had a big shower area. I just that's a big flaw. There should be seperate showers for everyone. That is one of the good reasons I decided to take showers at work instead.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Dustin Ma

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
This is a spinoff from another thread but I felt like this rant deserved it's own thread. Here's my quote from the thread "Pricing out a home gym":

You may be asking, why spend $1200 on a garage gym when I have a globo gym deal like this?

This has been bothering me for a while so I'd like to go ahead and throw 24 Hour Fitness under the bus. You may contact them at http://www.24hourfitness.com/ (WFS). The below observations pertain to every 24 Hour Fitness gym location I have visited in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex in the last 10 years.

1. Only one squat rack which I spend 95% of my work out using. I'm SOL if someone else is using the squat rack but as noted at #2 below that isn't a problem most of the time.
2. ****** bag factor. I have never in my life seen someone do a proper squat and I have been working out at 24 Hour fitness chains for nearly a decade.
3. The weight plates are not round but rather are octagonal shaped which makes pulling anything from the floor (i.e. deadlift, clean, snatch) really annoying because the weight plates don't roll.
5. No bumper plates.
I can't complain too much bc my membership is $10/month for nationwide access to all gyms.

However I do agree with these 3 points. The octagonal shaped plates really annoy me to no end, I never understood the point of these.

The gyms I've gone to have a power rack with a proper pull up bar and I haven't run into a gym without that *yet*.

I love the guy doing sissy squats with 315 on the rack, grunting and moaning and then turning around to see if anyone is watching him though... good entertainment.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Ma View Post
I can't complain too much bc my membership is $10/month for nationwide access to all gyms.
Mine is nationwide to bu how did you pull off $10/month deal? I thought I had a good deal at $17/month. I was thinking about attempting to cancel my membership and seeing if they offered a better deal. But they could always call my bluff. Then if I ever want to join again the going rates appear to be anywhere around $100 for enrollment and $35/month for the same membership I have now.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
Dustin Ma

Profile:

I was added on through a friend's work contract with 24 (we were roommates so the addresses matched etc) and I talked to the manager about continuing my membership after he decided to quit the company.

Sidenote: I know of a couple people who pay $12/month since they paid their memberships in full up front and after their contract ended they gave them that deal.

Oh another gripe I have (that i'll be fixing soon) is the rowers are always rusty and broken at nearly all the 24's I go to.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Ma View Post
Oh another gripe I have (that i'll be fixing soon) is the rowers are always rusty and broken at nearly all the 24's I go to.
How are you fixing this problem? Are you going to be the one fixing them? I fell into that trap at my apartment complex because the weight/workout room was included in my rent, but they really shouldn't need to have a patron fixing their machines. Machines that are constantly in disrepair or that take a long time to repair tells you something about the gym's priorities. They care more about pulling in new customers than appeasing the customers they already have.

Closed Thread