CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Stephen Jordan

Profile:
Crossfit for weight loss

I'm interested in starting a Crossfit program, but I'm concerned that the amount of cardio in the WODs will be insufficient for my weight loss goals. I'm not particularly overweight (5'10", 175lbs), but I am trying to get leaner. Do you think Crossfit can be effective for weight loss as well as athletic conditioning?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Crossfit for weight loss

This cannot be overstated so I'm going to put it here in all caps:

IT'S ALL ABOUT NUTRITION

Go to the testimonials section of these forums to see just how CrossFit with the right diet works for weightloss.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Welcome to the boards Jordan! There's a lot of collective wisdom here, including questions similar to yours. You might consider looking up other threads, but let me give you a short answer. You're missing two important points with your concern that CF won't lead to weight loss.

1. The CF community doesn't usually talk about "cardio." A few workouts are heavy lifting days, but about 80% of them are a race against the clock in one fashion or another. Although workouts like Fran, Grace, and many others involve strength, rest assured you will be desperate for air by the time you finish. Many others like Michael and Helen involve sprints between other exercizes. In short, there is no "lack of cardio" in the WOD. Traditional plugging away at the treadmill forever has been replaced by high-intensity functional movements which will require more effort than a treadmill has ever demanded from you.

2. Body composition changes come more from changing your diet than changes to your workout. In the CF community the two staple diets are the Zone and the Paleo Diet. Personally I recommend starting with the Paleo diet and moving on to the Zone once you want to further refine your body comp and performance.

Conrgats on jumping in! You'll find lots of helpful people here and this way of fitness is likely to make a lasting difference in your life. Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

Most of us are looking for performance. Whatever happens with our bodies happens.

Whatever you look like when you achieve a 3 minute Fran is probably what you should look like.

I have a 4:49 Fran body.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Most of us are looking for performance. Whatever happens with our bodies happens.

Whatever you look like when you achieve a 3 minute Fran is probably what you should look like.

I have a 4:49 Fran body.
Wow. This is brilliant. Thanks, Mr. David.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
John Doyle

Profile:

Although its not as much of a goal as it is a sideaffect (partly true), I have leaned out a ton since I started doing crossfit. Guessing I went from 15% body fat to 10% since I started. However, for me the best part of crossfit is that once you start doing all of your workouts for time or reps, you begin to care more and more about your performance than you do what you weigh.

Welcome to crossfit!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Stephen Jordan

Profile:

I guess the problem I have is that I come from a background of running track in high school, where I ran 40-50 miles a week, and burned a ton of calories. It just feels like the Crossfit-style workouts won't consume nearly as many calories, and thus necessitate a substantial reduction in food intake.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
Wow. This is brilliant. Thanks, Mr. David.

Thanks Jacob!! I'm only 1 minute 49 secs from my ultimate bod!!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:00 AM   #9
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Jordan View Post
I guess the problem I have is that I come from a background of running track in high school, where I ran 40-50 miles a week, and burned a ton of calories. It just feels like the Crossfit-style workouts won't consume nearly as many calories, and thus necessitate a substantial reduction in food intake.
I'm kind of confused. You said you want to lean out, but then you start talking about not wanting to withstand a substantial reduction in food intake. You can't have it both ways. With CrossFit, you won't be able to eat nearly as many calories as you're used to from running that kind of mileage. From a health standpoint, that's not a bad thing. There are alot of studies that link limiting calorie intake to increased health and longevity (for more info, check out Robb Wolf's nutrition blog W/F/S).

As for the "cardio" thing, I'm going to recommend this although you probably won't listen (nothing personal, it's just that most people can't give up on their old workout habits cold-turkey): unless you're still a competitive runner, when you start CrossFitting, don't worry about adding extra running workouts. Just give CrossFit a chance to do its thing; then after a few months you can try adding in some extra workouts if you feel they're necessary.

Jason hit the nail on the head: check out the videos of the top CrossFitters and ask yourself if that's the kind of shape that you want to be in. I guarantee you that anyone that can deadlift 400+ lbs, do 40 pullups, AND go sub-3 in "Fran" isn't too concerned about their appearance. Chase performance and the asthetics will follow.

A properly scaled WOD will allow you to push yourself harder than you've ever gone before. Running a mile flat out sucks but doesn't hold a candle to something like "Fran." You'll get plenty of "cardio" here...

Welcome!

- Alex
Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Jason: "I have a 4:49 Fran body".

BRILLIANT! I'll be stealing that liberally. If you read the comments you're likely to see it in "Sunday Musings".

Thanks.

Stephen: great advice given here. I have nothing to add. Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.

-bingo