CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #11
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Evan - that's a horrible advice. Abs should stay flat throughout the excercises. Not sucked in and not pushed out.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #12
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Purchase an "Abmat"

At the Cert in Ann Arbor 2 weeks ago, Coach Glassman talked about it and we demo'ed it. Awesome stuff!

www.abmat.com

Read this site. Has some good info on why it is so good.

Work and Fam safe site.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
Also, getting the right amount of sleep can help reduce fat storage. I don't know all the specifics, but the book "Lights Out" recommends 9.5 hours of sleep in complete darkness to make your body's hormones think it's winter time. When you don't get enough sleep and there's too much light, your body thinks it's summer and stores fat for the upcoming winter.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #14
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
Brian- Thanks for the info on the weighted sit-ups. I have a girlie 4 pack but want a mean lookin six pack like Nicole. I'm going to give your suggestion a try.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
http://www.beastskills.com/L%20Seat.htm
http://www.beastskills.com/AbWheel.htm
(Safe.)

I found that L-sits don't address the upper abs too much though. For that, I do "tuck sits," where I pull my legs in, while grabbing onto parallettes, and then tilt my body up and backward.

Now to figure out a way to get the two upper abs to be the same size... The right one is so much bigger than the left. Oh well.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
Bill Russell

Profile:
Ouch, let's not slam Evan on his very first post. He's just passing on what many of us have heard.

I do both 'suck in' and 'puch out' iso holds with my abs from time to time. Korean ki breathing techniques focus on this a lot.

It may not be as effective as other methods, but not a bad way to mix it up, and it certainly can do no harm.

Stay with us Evan:gunsmilie:
Old 05-04-2007, 04:47 AM   #17
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The activating the TA during exercise thing was a hot topic about 5 years ago. Paul Chek was a proponent. On the other side was the late Mel Siff (Super Training) and Louie Simmons of West Side Barbell who are proponents of pushing the abs out during the squat. Chek lost...big. Focus on performance and consistency in diet and exercise, the rest will come.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #18
Elliot Royce

Profile:
A few additional comments:

- Glute ham situps seem to me to be very effective at working the whole set of abs
- weighted situps will build mass
- to some extent, focusing on your abs may detract from your overall fitness if it means that you don't eat enough to fuel muscle growth. Rippetoe's quote is interesting: "most people who want a sixpack don't have a chest to put it in."
Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
Jim Doherty

Profile:
I have a really dumb question about sugar in the diet. I've read a lot about giving up sugar but I'm not clear if this means giving up refined sugars, or all sugars, even the ones found naturally in fruits. Can someone help me out here. It's sound even dumber now that I've typed it but I am assuming that one should not give up fruits.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
John Nolan

Profile:
Jim,
depending on how 'paleo' you want to go and what you can live without....let that be your guide

I dont add sugar,but will eat fruit. If you are following zone you can eat sugar, but count the carbs. I found that I would rather have food than sugar. So to answer your question....fruit is fine