CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Scott Havn

Profile:
homemade Dip bars?

Anyone have ideas or plans on constructing dip bars? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: homemade Dip bars?

Do a search for speed rail fittings. You can make anything with that and some steel pipe.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
Stephen Foster

Profile:

Here are my parallel/dip bars and my pullup bar. On hindsight, I wish I had used longer sections of galvanized pipe and 6x6s instead of 4x4s.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e1...PullSitDip.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ullSitDip2.jpg
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Helmut Block

Profile:

nice set up, Stephen. I have the pull up bar just like you do. Am planing for the dip bars next. Why would you make them longer? Also are those 4X4 s at the feet of the pull up bar there for stepping up to the bar? What do you use the bar between the pull up bar and dip bar at the bottom for.

I was planing on using the post for the pull up bar as one of my posts for the dip station, do you see anything wrong with that? Do I need to plan for cross braces between the posts of the two dip bars at each end to keep them square?

Thanks for any advise.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:

Might as well make 'em to the measurements of parallel bars in case you ever get a hankering to play like that.
(Well, maybe not as high, but pretty long!)

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 11-20-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Stephen Foster

Profile:

I dunno, if they were longer, I feel like I could do more on them than just dips without worry of hitting the posts. BTW, to get the distance between the bars I wanted and maintain them perfectly parallel, I made a temporary jig out of some scrap 2x4s to hold the bars the desired distance while I filled the holes and squared the posts.

You are correct about the pull-up bar steps. I can jump high enough to grab the bar (it is ~9 feet high). However, after the bar was up, my wife and kids wanted to use it but couldn’t reach it. I then realized that most people will probably need a step of some kind to reach the bar so I built one. I used some pieces from a scrap piece of pressure treated 4x4 and drilled a couple of holes in them for a big hex-head screw and also drilled a countersink for the washer/spacer that would be between the hex head and the wood. I guesstimated an approximate height to step up onto, drilled matching holes (without the countersink) in the vertical support posts, then screwed the whole thing together.

Like I said, if I were to do it all over again, I would have used 6x6s instead of 4x4s. I only do dead-hang and jumping pull-ups and don't have a problem with the posts swaying in any way, but if I did kipping pull-ups I think the 6x6s would be more stable.

I use the low bar between the pull-up bar and the dip bar to hold my feet while I do sit-ups. It wasn’t very comfortable on the tops of my feet when I first tried it out so I got some pipe insulation and slipped it over the bar. It feels great now. The thing I don't like about it is that I have made the post thinner at it's base and I wouldn't recommend copying this flaw, especially if you are only using 4x4s. I should have just used flanges with the sit-up bar. I haven't had any cracking or splitting problems with this yet, but it could have been made better. If you want to double duty the vertical posts for the pull-up bar as one of the vertical posts of your dip bars, I would definitely go with 6x6s.

Another change I would have made is I would have put the parallel bars about five feet or so parallel with, and in front of the pull-up bar instead of next to it. I would also add several bars at different heights (about every 12-18 inches or so) under the parallel/dip bars, including one that is only a couple of inches above the ground for sit-ups. Then I could use the pull-up bar to do ring push-ups or ring-rows and put my feet up on the bars at different heights in order to increase the difficulty as needed. I could also build a backboard that would hook onto the bars so I could do incline sit-ups.

Last edited by Stephen Foster : 11-20-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Hugh Gilmore

Profile:

Personally speaking wouldnt waste time with dip bars i have found that a set of rings and a woody band gives enough help to make dipping on rings a viablle option for all but the weakest,

Second to that those that cant use the rings with even the thickest of woody bands can have them lowered so their feet touch the ground

though if your like me you cant help wanting to make homemade equipment even if it isnt nessercary

wfs ring dip video http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...ndsSupport.mov

hugh
Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
Brian Hogan

Profile:

Have to agree with Mr. Gilmore here. If you have a pull-up bar already set up, you have a dip station by just using rings. They might be more difficult to knock out, but they will help build stronger muscles and tendons along the way.

They only reason I would attempt to creat bars are if you are going to be building them for parallel bar purpose to do olympic style movements on them.