CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Jonathan Riddle

Profile:
Paleo or Zone diet??

I am a green horn to crossfit but I am really excited to kick it into high gear with the workouts and diet. I am still confused though on which diet to follow for crossfit. I've read that the Paleo diet is the way to go and then I see others talking about the Zone diet. Zone or Paleo??
Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Re: Paleo or Zone diet??

If you figure that one out, please let me know..
Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Donald Clarkson

Profile:

My suggestion is get a copy of Mastering the Zone, read it and implement it. Give yourself about a couple of months to tweak it and see how your performance and weight are. Also read 42 ways to skin the Zone by Robb Wolf.

Once you have the Zone working for you, get a copy of The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain. Keep Zoning but do so with Paleo foods.

Zone = quantity Paleo = quality

The nice thing about the Zone is it gives you repeatable, quantifiable data. 17 blocks is measurable; as are all the sub blocks. This allows you to dial it in better for yourself or allows your coach to better assist you.

Don
Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Patrick Janes

Profile:

hey jonathon,

the 2 are NOT mutually exclusive; while the basic premises of both zone/paleo overlap:
  • paleo is primarily concerned with the QUALITY of food
  • zone is primarily concerned with the QUANTITY of food; both, in total and in macronutrient ratio
do a search; there's a mountain of info on both this site and others, including (w.f.s) http://www.performancemenu.com/ on paleo/zone.

check out (w.f.s) http://journal.crossfit.com/2004/05/...reArticleTitle for an excellent introduction to the zone.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

Paleo is more of a prescription for what to eat and zone is a prescription of how much to eat....

you can either go Paleo (which is very strict and you might want to start off zoning and then make the transition)

or you can start off with zone and start weighing and measuring your food to establish your quantities and block you need...which will probably take a bit of time to experiment with what works best

then you can eventually go paleo-zone and combine the two concepts together
Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
John S Park

Profile:

I started out eating paleo without zone proportions. i was on the zone with paleo for about two months but I really didn't like that I was limited to a certain number of blocks of protein/fat and being in fear of the next meal due to the amount of veggies. I heard about the skinning the zone but I'm too lazy, so I just do Paleo and Intermittent Fasting a couple days a week. It just feels a lot more natural and easier.

I've done the zone for a while so it is kind of a habit and second nature to measure my food in zone proportions but I don't sweat it if I'm not exactly in the zone and have mismatching blocks of f/p/c. Doing the zone was great though and I made a lot of progress with it. Whenever I try to start again, I end up giving up because I feel like it gives me less freedom
Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I second John, paleo is alot easier and feels natural. With the zone you have to weigh and measure everything, with paleo its just a big piece of meat, veggies/fruit, a handful of nuts, and you are set. Try both for a month or two and report back.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

First, what is your goal with diet? do you need to lose weight, gain weight, maintain weight.. Are you just looking to change your diet in order to reap performance benefits?

If you are happy with your body composition and just want to feel better both in and out of the gym, I suggest you go with a somewhat paleo approach.

The zone is great for dropping weight because it is very low calorie in its strict form.

Making better food choices (going in a more 'paleo' direction) is something everybody should work towards, regardless of body composition. By this I mean - cutting out processed foods, sugar etc. for the most part.

What is your diet like now?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
The zone is great for dropping weight because it is very low calorie in its strict form.

Making better food choices (going in a more 'paleo' direction) is something everybody should work towards, regardless of body composition. By this I mean - cutting out processed foods, sugar etc. for the most part.
+1. Zone works to drop weight....because it's calorie deficit. Zone is more ideal for people who are still wanting to eat breads, cereals and modern processed foods....because it will make you measure it out. If you eat Paleo, there is almost no measure involved because good luck overdosing on veggies and meat. Quality of foods is hands down a vital factor....especially as we start to get older. I'm not a fan of Zone for the OCD frequency of meal eating it stresses (which has no weight loss advantage by accelerated metabolism....if you want more on that you can read part I and part II here, sfw, on that issue).

In the end...whatever meal plan helps you to choose quality foods and remain calorie deficit will get you weight loss and health...it's really not that complicated.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
Jonathan Riddle

Profile:

Thanks everyone for your replies and help. Really appreciate it. My first goal is to get rid of my dang gut from my days of football. I just turned 22 and want to get in real shape. Currently 6'0'' and 210lbs. Part of my first goal is to cut down on my body fat and build muscle. 2nd goal is to get into real crossfit shape and hopefully athlete shape and go from there. Diet before I found crossfit was bad. Mix of protein shakes, lots of carbs, and mostly steak.