CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #281
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Kick the Sugar/Grains habit Challenge II

I'm joining you guys, I started on Monday 12/29, which was the day after my bday. I gained a bunch (7lbs?) over the holidays, and feel like crapola.

I am not giving up my morning coffee with splenda and two of those lil plastic things of vanilla milk or whatever it is; and not giving up drinking one night per week.

I'm on 16 blocks and 1x fat right now, when I get down to 185lbs I'll start 2x fat. ttys!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #282
Eric Kropp

Profile:

I think I'm gonna be giving it a try this time around. I've planned to IF during school hours to avoid eating the crap food they have available all day, so that should make this a bit easier.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #283
Brian Bedell

Profile:

FARK! Already cheated! Some co-workers had a small bday party with cake for me today and i had to have a very small piece of carrot cake, probably the size of a pak of cigarettes. At least there is carrots in it!!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #284
Andrea Schüler

Profile:

Good news: this thread really helped me to improve my diet. "No sugar" works fine. No chocolate, ice cream, cake etc. I don't miss it too much. And I feel better. But I will continue my espresso with a little sugar in the morning.

I admit - I did some cheating: small bits of christmas stollen, some chocolate or cheesecake (50g pack). Estimated ten cheatings since this thread started.

"No grains" is much harder. I had some organic whole wheat bread (moderate amounts) because too much nuts makes me fat and carbs from veggies only has not the good feeling of "carb satiety". I try to follow the rules of John Berardi (Precision Nutrition): Only veggies, fruit and protein if you don't have any workout, but carbs (including grains) are ok after a workout. It seems you need them für better protein ingestion.

Fasting: I tried Ori Hofmklers Warrior Diet, because some crosfit fans recommended it. My experience: I have more energy during the day, but not when I am physically active. Fasting and training doesn't fit well in my case. And I can't have big diners because I often work in the evening and eating a lot when I am back home at 11 pm or later is no good idea. But it sems to work well for a lot of people.

Now I eat when I am hungry and more towards Paleo Diet style. I used to have fruits and nuts for breakfast but I discovered that veggies , fruit and protein are better. If I want to do sprint interval training or interval running in the morning, I eat only fruits and nuts because I need my blood in my legs and my heart for sprinting and not in my stomach for digesting stuff that is hard to digest like protein and fats.

@ Amber:
Be careful: the alkaline/acid problem is different from the sugar/grains -problem: Good proteins produce much more acid than grains and sugar actually idoesn't produce acid. If somebody is too much on the acid side, it is important to balance the proteins with lots of veggies and fruits or supplements. That's why nutritionists who research about the acid-problem often recommend an almost vegetarian diet with reduced protein intake. Too little protein is bad for other reasons but lots of good proteins (Paleo Diet) and not enough alkaline stuff may be a dangerous nutrition.

Best wishes for all your diet and live improvement plans in 2009
Old 12-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #285
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Andrea - It's a true sign of "do what works for you" when we both have such extreme differences in going paleo - I can do without the grains, but want sugar a lot.

Also, thanks for your summary of understanding the acid/alkaline thing. Truthfully, I haven't done much research into it because whenever I start, the "sources" seem questionable. This didn't surprise me as I originally heard about it from the guy we appropriately nicknamed "Crazy Water Guy." The one book I read did show proteins on the high acidity end, most grains in the middle and of course fruits/veggies are alkaline. I only know that my problems are less/nonexistent when I am eating little to no grains.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #286
Andrea Schüler

Profile:

Amber - I agree with you: we are all different. I like Paul Chek's approach to nutrition: his metabolic typing test is interesting. Listen to your body and see what works for you (no junk food of course, only healthy food). I don't feel good with lots of grains (nobody does I guess), but in moderation it's ok for me. I don't feel good with lots of read meat, Paul Chek needs lots of red meat.

This acid/alkaline-topic is a lot of guessing. You can't measure the actual ph in your body. Litmus paper is quite useless, the Joergensen-Test (bloodtest ) seems to be the best.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #287
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Someone in my household may have bought the litmus paper and may have found it completely useless but also may have found the initial thrill of trying something different kind of fun

To all - No grains/no sugar 2009 support group started in the nutrition thread! See you there!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #288
Bob Guere

Profile:

BUMP.

I'm bumping this to see how many folks are still going. My wife and I and our two CF buddies are at day 18, with only beer as any form of cheat.

Anyone else going strong?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #289
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Going strong, I think everyone's been posting on the support group.

I had one half a kaiser roll b/c "i had to." Error in ordering at a restaurant. And I drink some beers and put minimal sweetened creamer in my coffee. But that's it, and i've been going since 12/29.

Feel wonderul, and recovery is awesome.

Within a week I think I am going to have to go 2x fat.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #290
John Penner

Profile:

brian are you still checking this thread?