CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
Re: Kick the Sugar/Grains habit Challenge II

Hey, I'm in! I actually decided to give up the dessert bar at the chow hall on the 14th, so this is perfect timing for me. I've been doing good for the last 3 days. I can't be 100% strict, since I don't know what goes into my food prep, but I'm trying. I actually eat a lot of raw veggies, eggs, nuts, tuna and crab, because most of the meats are smothered in gravy and the cooked veggies.....well, let's just say they are well done.

Thanksgiving will definitly include some pumpkin pie, all other starches will depend on how it looks that day.

Thanks to my future MIL, I drink a lot of tea, some of which I sweeten with agave nectar, exactly 4.25 grams (the little sticks). Depends on the day though.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
Ted Apollo

Profile:

one day down!

i just measured my body fat a few weeks ago at uc santa barbara in a dunk tank. but that is not too convenient so a combination of the scale and tape measure is pretty good. i will take measurements tomorrow.

steven, my wrists are still sore from the 'cindy' challenge. that was so hard core. are you still doing the thruster challenge?

amber. the agave stick is a no-no. i made kind of the same mistake in the first challenge. i made flax seed & buckwheat pancakes, but i used agave syrup which apparently the same as pure sugar. see if you can drink it straight.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

All the reading I've done shows a lower carbohydrate and GI level for agave nectar vs. sugar, but I suppose I could stash the sticks away for 30 days. The teas are all very good without the agave, just sometimes I overbrew them, then need a little sweetener to cut down on the "kick." I guess my other thing to consider giving up for 30 days would be my Amino Vital drink mix, which I usually only use with very intense METCON workouts. 16 grams of sugar in one scoop. Sigh......Good luck to everyone!

Mmm, I've been dreaming of delicious pancakes......I've got a recipe brewing in my head for when I get back home, it's going to be great! It's also going to produce a sugar induced coma, but it'll be worth it.

Last edited by Amber Mathwig : 11-16-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Content
Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
John Penner

Profile:

Good to see all the posts.

I think your pie eating contest sounds great. I think you should eat a whole pie then run 1 mile(CF style FOR TIME)

I'm going to include for myself NO Diet Sodas too.
I don't know where the rest of you are w/ those?

I'm going to look around a little on the web for a bodyfat calculator.

John
Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #15
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

I actually kicked the soda habit about a year ago. In fact, I grabbed a 7-up about two weeks, just to have something different, and poured it out after 1 sip. Horrible, nasty stuff. I even stopped drinking most liqours because they have soda with them. Water, coffee, tea.....good beer and wine, that's about it for me. Occassional recovery drink.

I have no way to take body measurements or figure out body fat, unless I can find someone with a tape measure on this base. BUT, I did take some not-so-lovely pictures yesterday, so maybe I'll share those results at the end of the 30 days. I do have a scale though.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #16
Melanie Paulson

Profile:

I'm not much of a diet soda drinker, but I do love those Crystal Light To Go packets! I'm giving them up for the 30 days.

How about this for day one: little sister bakes brownies in the afternoon. Later, family gathers around to watch TV, everyone eating popcorn. Except me, with my chicken and veggies.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #17
John Penner

Profile:

thx guys, way to go Melanie, I have 4 kids so I hear you. there is no cleaning out refer. or pantry. If I lived alone I don't think I would have anything in it? I keep my almonds in the freezer usually. Whey protien I guess? but all that other stuff is junk, except for my oatmeal or Kashi cereal that I'm staying away from.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #18
John Penner

Profile:

oops forgot to post that U.S. NAVY & YMCA both have me @ 14.4%
Old 11-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #19
John Penner

Profile:

how do I add that little stuff in the lower left corner like some of you have?
(stats&links)
Old 11-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #20
Krista Vaught

Profile:

seems like a tough challenge around the holidays haha
i'm in starting tomorrow (monday)..but it should be tough because really i love my sweets..