CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Bruce Duco

Profile:
Yoga

My wife wants me to take Yoga classes with her. It would be Thursday and Sunday evenings for 12 weeks. Will Yoga help me with Crossfit? Has anyone here incorporated Yoga into their workout routine and found any benefit from it?

And yes, I did use the search function, but I did not find any substantial threads dealing with this.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
James Withington

Profile:
Re: Yoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
My wife wants me to take Yoga classes with her. It would be Thursday and Sunday evenings for 12 weeks. Will Yoga help me with Crossfit? Has anyone here incorporated Yoga into their workout routine and found any benefit from it?

And yes, I did use the search function, but I did not find any substantial threads dealing with this.
I guess it depends if you have any current flexibility issues. If you are lacking in flexibility and proprioception/body-awareness then it may do you some good.

If you are already flexible and co-ordinated enough it probably won't do anything for you. Probably wouldn't do you any harm, but it's not gonna improve your performance really.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

I don't really have any hard data, but I was doing "hot yoga" (Bikram Yoga) for a while, once or twice a week, and I don't know that it neccesarily helped my crossfitting, but it made me less sore, and more flexible. I just kind of look at it as the "try new activities" philosophy of CrossFit. I doubt it will hurt your x-fitting, and you fell like jello when your done with a good yoga session.

not to mention, for a single dude like myself, nothing is better than a room full of women in spandex
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Henry Miller

Profile:

It won't hurt, and your WIFE WANTS you to. Why would you not?

Yoga may help with flexability issues that crossfit and life doesn't need. Balance is a part of yoga, and some of that will help. A "tree pose" should help you do pistols. Headstands are a part of yoga as well, and that will help your HSPUs. (and crossfit will help your yoga as well).

I used to enjoy taking Yoga. Held onto a globo gym membership for a year just for the weekly yoga sessions (before crossfit). I didn't find crossfit until after the yoga class was cancled so I'm not sure how combining the two works.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Yoga is great stuff. For most men, I'd imagine you'd be humbled at just how inflexible you are, especially when you're surrounded by a bunch of women who could put their foreheads to their shins without issue. I never found myself with much DOMS from yoga, though I did get very sore in the obliques after my first Bikram's session. Your body awareness will almost certainly increase, and the time spent stretching and learning to relax and breathe is time very well spent. A great addition to an intense training program IMO.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Michael Halbfish

Profile:

Hopefully, Keith W. from Crossfit Virtuosity will jump in here. He is a Yoga Alliance certified instructor.

While I don't think yoga helps or hurts my Crossfit ability very much, I do think it offers different benefits. Just as there are many ways to train with body weight, weights, or cardio, there are many varieties of yoga. Some are more calisthenic oriented and others are more spiritual, esoteric, or mental. Some yoga may assist with certain WOD movements such as the handstand.
A less strenuous form of yoga is likely to help with recovery. It may also offer flexibility, mobility, and balance benefits. Many people enjoy the relaxed feelings and mental benefits of yoga. Yoga will vary tremendously depending both upon the style and instructor.

I will often do yoga during Crossfit or CFE rest days.

Based upon your post, answer to should you do it is very simple. It will make your wife happy. If you love her and want a good relationship then go. (my recommendation)

Alternatively, negotiate. Agree to do yoga if she does something with you (ie Crossfit). Note, that for a marital relationship, I would not recommend making this a negotiation. Just go.

If you do go, I hope you will post about your experiences.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

I actually was considering filling my off days with Yoga. It's low-cardio high-flexibility. The only thing it can do is help you!!!
Why not because it's SO relaxing. What a way to relieve stress and ease your muscles at the same time
Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I am pretty sure you will benefit a lot from yoga. I did Iyengar yoga for many years and I can tell you it is some pretty challenging stuff. Yoga teaches excellent muscle control and improves greatly range of motion. For most men it is especially humbling experience. The only thing you should be aware of is that if you are lifting heavy be careful with asanas which require increased joint mobility though as they WILL compromise your joints stability. But as a yoga beginner you will not get to that stuff any time soon. Do not be fooled into thinking that it is "low cardio" comforting stuff, it can get very intense and sweaty even when just trying to hold a static position.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19

Last edited by Alexander Kornishev : 10-28-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Paul Epstein

Profile:

ballance, flexability, relaxation

im sure it will help you crossfit wise and generally
Old 10-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Dan John has talked about yoga quite a bit. Samantha made the good point of ( and I think Dan John did as well ) allowing us time to relax. DJ also commented that most people don't spend near enough time stretching and relaxing/meditating ( not just vegetating ).

As for the love of putting joints in weird positions, skip it.

Most normal people seem to have a very poor handle on balance, body awareness, etc so it can be great. I, myself am a little more interested in the Scott Sonnon moving yoga stuff and I have studied a cadre of yoga books and ganked a lot of the ones I find useful and enjoying for myself. Before a pushup contest earlier this month, I went through a warmup, which includes a few positions and the girls around me instantly though I did yoga, which made them think I was more civilized than I am and probably boosted my worth a few points up until I said I just do a bit of it in my own calesthenics.