CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Cassie Kottke

Profile:
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if there were any Crossfitters out there that have, or are currently training for an Ironman distance triathlon or similar endurance event. If so, are you able to do Crossfit successfully with your other training or do you alter the workouts?

Thanks everyone!
Cassie
Old 12-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Carolyn Rocco

Profile:
Hi there. I have done 2 IM's but it was before the introduction of CF. Because of the time devoted to IM training (many 2 a day workouts), it would be easy to not include CF. I, unfortunately, did not do as much resistance in my training, whether it be in the weight room or a CF style and I think if I did, I would have performed better. I think it is very important to "lift" (ie weights, CF, etc) at least 2x a week during IM training. A good schedule could entail something like M,W,F swim and lift (together or at different times), T and Th run and bike (I often ran in the a.m. and rode in the p.m.) Then do a long ride/run during the weekend. It really depends on your schedule, but as time went on, I would do my long run on Wednesday and a long ride on the weekend, so I wasn't totally exhausted both Sat and Sun. I'm not a pro by any stretch, but could share some things that helped me.
Congrats on pursuing an IM...what a feeling when you cross the line (and then the pain sets in...hahahah) :lol:
Cheers
Old 12-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Cassie - a subject near and dear to my heart (...ummm, not you, Cassie but rather triathlon). I have completed a couple iron distance events, a dozen or so long course races and 60 or 80 Olympic and short course races. CrossFit is great for sprint and Olympic racing but does not help as much for long course and almost not at all for ultra course racing...at least that has been my experience.

A quote I like from Graham Obree's cycling coach "If you don't go 30, you won't go 30" applies just as well when you say "If you don't go long, you won't go long." I spent very little time going long this year and during a 100 plus mile race early in the season I suffered for it. It was a mountain bike, road bike, kayak, run race from Snoqualamie Pass to downtown Seattle and my high intensity training did not prepare my 51 year old body adequately for 11 1/2 hours of torture and torment. The half-marathon at the end was particularly crushing.

You should maintain your CrossFit training for sure and work in your tri training to the degree that you want to be successful there. Of course the more tri-specific training you do the better you will be at that. This is particularly true in swimming as there no crossover to speak of from other sports to swimming. The longer your race distance the more LSD time you need. If you are doing sprints the CrossFit matchup is perfect and it goes downhill the longer the race format.

It is difficult to be terribly specific here as much of this depends on how your body reacts to various training methods. For me I have to be pretty specific in order to peform adequately in triathlon.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:56 AM   #4
Cassie Kottke

Profile:
Thanks guys!

I have actually done four Ironman's thus far (should have mentioned that)... ( : I have been really inpired by the Crossfit program and would love to pursue it along with my training (which starts on Jan. 2nd) but am a little skeptical on how my body will hold up doing 2-a day workouts and Crossfit. Have either of you had any success doing both or bits of Crossfit while Ironman training?

Thanks so much for your input, it is cool to run into other IM Competitors out there ( :

Cassie