CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:
Clavicle and shoulder pain...?

I have had pain in my right shoulder for going on 2 years now. I have seen a doctor several times, a physical therapist, and a chiropractor. For the most part to no avail. Lots of ibuprofin, confusion, and plenty of advice for rest. I took 6 months off after the pain initially came, and after that didn't fix anything i resumed working out.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt, sometimes it does. Mostly if i bench, do dips, kettlebell swings, etc. It even hurts to throw a punch. Surprisingly the Shoulder press doesn't bother it much.

Yesterday someone pointed out something i've never noticed before. My right Clavicle, sticks out alot more than my left one. (my right shoulder is the one that hurts). The pain appears to be where the clavicle attaches to the shoulder. I attached a picture, but it's not very good. A side angle shows how much more pronounced it is, but i was unable to take those photos myself. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. I have toughed it through the pain for a very long time, but it would be great to see it go away
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98...c/clavicle.jpg
Old 08-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Nicholas Dixon

Profile:
Re: Clavicle and shoulder pain...?

Have you ever broken your clavicle? It looks like it might be an improperly healed break/fracture, or possibly some kind of calcium deposit on the bone (I think they usually occur in joints though, but I'm not a doctor, so don't take my word for it). The picture is kind of hard to see, but it looks like you have a significant lump on your collar bone, right underneath that mole?
Old 08-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

To my knowledge i've never broken it. ( i would probably know, but hey people have babies without knowing theyre pregnant.) Yeah the mole is actually on the bump. The pain is directly to the left ( looking at the photo) of the bump. The shoulder pain has been ongoing for almost 2 years, and i cant recall a specific event that would have broken anything. What i believe caused it though was either dumbell bench ( used to do them quite often ) or one time at work i was trying to hand a heavy box of metal down to someone and they didnt grab it, so it pulled really hard, down on that joint.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Jamie Crichton

Profile:

Sounds like AC (acromioclavicular) joint issues. Particularly suggestive is the fact that bench, dips etc - movements involving extension at the shoulder - cause problems, whereas overhead pressing is not so much of a problem.

Give this article a read, it may help you:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...hab_deload&cr= (not safe for work or family)

Interestingly, it does look like an old fracture of the clavicle, much like my left clavicle in fact! But I suspect you would know a) if you had fractured it, and b) if there was a non-union. So I don't think that is the problem here.

As with all injuries, it's best to seek expert opinion in person, so do that!