CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Brandon Oto

Profile:
AGT Program

Hi all,

Here's the program I was working on. http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/ wfs

(It's currently sitting on my personal site; it may or may not get relocated in the future.)

This is a very modifiable and user-created program, so if anyone tries it out I heartily encourage posting here with workouts you tried or tweaks you used that worked well -- or ones that didn't. Also, for everyone who was testing out some version of this over the past couple weeks, I'd appreciate if you could post here with your experiences. There is nothing writ on stone tablets here; not only will it continue to be improved and developed based on feedback, but it emphasizes user customization anyway, so if something's not working for you it should be pretty easy to try something else. That's why more ideas to play with is Good.

This is based in many ways on Gant Grimes's Hybrid programming, so if you like that, this may also work well for you. For people currently doing the CF WoD, the takeaway difference here is that you'll be doing less metcon and more other stuff.

Any questions or other remarks can be posted here and I'll do my best to answer them. Understand, of course, that this is fresh from the oven, so neither I nor anyone else has much more experience with the program than you do.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: AGT Program

This is really neat.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Obviously it's a bit early for anyone to comment on the efficacy of the program, but I will say that you've laid it out very well - experienced athletes can see what they have to do at a glance, but less-experienced folks can drill down into the links to get at the info they need. Good job!

I won't be trying it because I'm very much a beginner, and will never be able to incorporate this much volume into my life, but there is still plenty of great food for thought here. Very keen to see comments from those who've tried this out, so consider this a BUMP!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

This looks great. Unlike a lot of the information you see regarding fitness, this is incredibly well organized and formatted. It was a pleasure to read through everything, and I look forward to trying this once my metcon improves more.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Trent Justice

Profile:

Brandon,

You obviously spent a lot of working creating this template/program and your efforts seem to have paid off. In my opinion, the programming looks pretty good especially for those who don't need as much metcon. I do have one question/comment though. Is the sprinting supposed to take place before the strength workouts? From my personal experience, If I do an all out spring workout (even giving enough time for complete recovery between sprints) my squat will not be as strong as It could have been if I had been completely fresh.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

I will be giving this program a go. However, I do have some concerns:

1) The schedule looks like it has real potential to wear someone out. I did today's schedule, and by the time I got to the Conditioning portion (I used the 135# Thruster / DU mashup from May of this year) I was already exhausted from Broomstick Lifts, Handstand practice, Boxing practice, Full Snatches and Snatch Assistance exercises. Maybe it's possible to stretch it into a 2-week cycle and spread out the heavy stuff (strength, o-lifting, conditioning)?

2) I think there could be some more thoughtful programming as far as Skills are concerned, which appear to be the meat of the program. Nothing specific, maybe just some categories for each day so it feels less like the program is "do whatever."
Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Trent: yes, sprints (low volume, remember) before lifting, although some people prefer reversing that order -- lift and then sprint, which is also okay. You can try that order out although in my experience, the fatigue is worse that way; the wheels really come off my sprints when I just lifted heavy. But yes, you'll have to deal with some fatigue either way; most people adapt to this, however. If it fits your schedule, you can also put the running and lifting at different sessions during your day, but that can be a little difficult to manage.

Joe: like anything, you'll adjust to this schedule somewhat, although I'm surprised that as a CrossFitter you found the volume of work daunting. Something I noticed from the testing is that some people have a tendency to really go overboard with the skill work, and it does sound like you did quite a bit; keep this under control to help manage time and fatigue. Remember, it's not like you're ruining anything by doing less rather than more; you have skills EVERY day and there'll be plenty more practice down the road.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

I didn't see this at first before I looked this over, Brandon. Up to 5 sets of 5 reps for heavy lifting is too much volume for the program if the weights are truly heavy. I noticed I led to a quick burnout following WL and Gymnastics 5x a week with 5x5. I would recommend noting that if someone goes for 5x5 or anything greater than 3x5 in a workout that the weight must be reduced to 70-75% of your max just to be safe.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Are you referring to the two-lift strength program? That's the only time I mention 5x5.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Well in the strength sessions you mention to use between 1-5 sets on the exercises. Five sets can become excessive if someone decides to do 5 reps each set as well.