CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Weird pain in bottom of the palm, suggestions welcome.

Fellas,

The other day I had to do push-presses, and I felt a weird pain in the very bottom of my palm when I pressed overhead. I didn't care for it that day, but two days later I had to do thrusters, and I used dumbells because the barbell gave me the same pain as soon as I pressed the bar overhead on the first thruster.
Then I had to do OverHead Squat.. I managed to do them without much pain, but it was there. I grabbed the bar closer to my thumb than to the fingers this day.

But something is still not right. EVEN WITHOUT WEIGHT, if I fully extend my arm, trying to push as far away from my body as possible, and close/open my hand, I feel the stabbing pain in the bottom of my palm, right in the middle (from left to right), but at the very bottom. It does not happen if I open/close my hand with my arm in ANY possition that is not fully straight. And sometimes even if it's straight, but I'm not pushing it further away, it wont hurt. For example, if I just raise my arm to the front and open/close, it wont hurt. Now, if I "protract" my shoulders, trying to push as much as I can, and open/close the hand, there it is! ... It is weird, I know, but I'm hating it. I'm doing the CFT tomorrow and I'm thinking I'll use dumbells to let this rest some more (today was rest day for me).

If someone has had this happen, please, any input would be great.

It would be worth noting that 9 weeks ago I had acromioplasty on the shoulder of the same side of the hand (right). Maybe something got "shortened" somehow ??? I only wore a sling for like a week, and I seem to have good shoulder flexibility right now (can do dislocates grabbing a towel with maybe 18" between fists?)

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Weird pain in bottom of the palm, suggestions welcome.

Nearly two years old, 1115 views, NO REPLIES!!!

The funny thing is... I have this again. It's such an odd thing. It's in my right palm, right at the bottom of the palm, right at the midle. Like, if you draw a line inline with your middle finger, and reach the bottom of the palm, there it is.

Just minutes ago I kinda flexed my bicep and mimic'ed a hammer curl motion (odd habit of mine since sometimes it makes my elbow pop or crack a little bit, no pain of course, I haven't had elbows issues yet), and I felt a quick, stabbing pain there in the bottom of the palm when I did this!! WTF? ... it has also been "tender" for a few days. It doesn't seem to be a bone or anything... I just have no idea what this is, maybe a tight ligament or something? argh.

The odd thing is, when I stretch this right hand, pulling my fingers towards the top of my forearm (stretching the flexors), I cannot replicate the pain, regardless if I do it with the elbow bent or straight. So I'm not so sure it's a flexibility issue. I have stopped doing push-ups on my palms as I had a nagging pain in the top of that right wrist (in the side of the extensors), so I do them on my fists now. But I did a set in the palms recently and this spot I now mention got tender, the bottom/middle of the palm.

Oh boy, how I envy healthy people who can do just about any activity without thinking about it twice....
Old 03-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Heh heh sounds like some nerve impingement somewhere in there.

1. Do your nerve glides wfs
http://www.handhealthresources.com/S.../Exercises.htm

2. Massage everything from your shoulders down.

3. Work on your posture

4. Make sure you have proper shoulder and wrist mobility in all directions
Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Wow, I just tried those nerve glides, they give me the creeps. Truly odd feeling. Seems I might just need to do them.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Heh heh sounds like some nerve impingement somewhere in there.

1. Do your nerve glides wfs
http://www.handhealthresources.com/S.../Exercises.htm

2. Massage everything from your shoulders down.

3. Work on your posture

4. Make sure you have proper shoulder and wrist mobility in all directions
Thank you for this link!
I did OHSs the other day and my whole darn arm fell asleep (well, it felt like that anyway) from my elbow to my thumb (not the fingers) pretty much until the next day and my whole arm just felt funny.
I am bookmarking this for future ref.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Wow, I just tried those nerve glides, they give me the creeps. Truly odd feeling. Seems I might just need to do them.
Yep, I just did them and it was creepy.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I have noticed something that I don't know if it's related or not. But in my right wrist (this is the side where I get the odd pain in the bottom of the palm), I have less "active" flexibility than the left side! I mean, if I try to stretch the forearm flexors by just using my extensors, I can't bend the hand back as much as my left hand.

When I stretch them by putting my hands on a wall or something, there doesn't seem to be a big difference. I just noticed this yesterday and wondered what it could mean.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Lack of mobility = more likely to injure something, especially when you are moving around heavy loads

If your muscles don't absorb all the stress (which is common if you don't always have 100% perfect technique... which no one does), and the weight encounters a mobility limitation then you get tearing/destruction/bruising/smashing of your connective tissues and bones.

Obviously with greater mobility especially in the active joints like the ankles, hips, shoulders and wrists.. you get more ROM over which the muscles can act to absorb force.

Those with active hips such as the Asian countries who sit with low tables and get up from the floor a lot have low incidence of hip dysfunction compared to here where there's huge amounts of hip immobility and similarly a large amount of hip replacements are needed.

Connect the dots...

Last edited by Steven Low : 03-20-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Steven, thanks for the info. I don't know if this is a flexibility issue or a strength imbalance. I think my wrist extensors are WEAK as heck. I had not done direct forearm work in ages, but on saturday I decided to try some... this numbers are weak but bare with me here: I did full ROM wrist curls with dumbells and 40# felt rather good for 15-20 reps. Before this I had tried the same with reverse wrist curls and only managed 15# x10 reps. I don't know what the flexor to extensor ratio should be like but I suspect mine's bad.

I put the top on the bucket on the rice bucket a few weeks ago and never used it again I think that was a mistake, I'm gonna put it in my bathroom again so I do it at least everyday.

And I'll stretch the wrists as well.

Oh, and funny you mention the third world squat, I've been dropping into that possition several times a day for a couple of weeks now, I can stay there for several minutes now.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I have been stretching the flexors. I think in the past I did too much flexor training (I loved wrist curls) and not enough extensors (I have pathetic extensor strength). So now I'm going just extensors to catch up. And stretching.

Funnily enough, today I have found a tender spot there in my right palm, at the bottom... feels like a trigger point or whatever, so I massaged it a little bit. It sucks when one of your goals is to be able to do push-ups and train handstands... LOL. Well I do push-ups on my fists but it's hard to do any handstand work this way.