CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Kyle B. Smith

Profile:
Crossfit workout VS traditional

Ok, so i have watched almost every Crossfit video there is, and read a ton of posts and all i can say is im hooked...I have started doing a few WODs a week...well scaled down WODs anyways. Now my question is should i stop doing my traditional workout routines in the gym (example Body building workouts) and just train Crossfit or do both. Because I am fed up with working my *** into the ground with body building workouts and getting nowhere real fast. I want to be in the best physical condition thats possible for me, because i am going to school for Exercise Science and fitness to become a P.T. and i want to fill my head with the right info before they feed me any BS at school. So can anyone give me suggestions on how to go about changing my workouts?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: Crossfit workout VS traditional

you sound like me...

after literally 2 years with not really getting anywhere with bb i switched to crossfit. i feel stronger than ever and im actually losing weight for a change. although i think that has a lot to do with IF as well. im down right around 25 lbs since march 15. it was weird though, most of that came off about 3 weeks ago and now im kind of sitting again. but i guess it can come in spurts.

on an interesting side note, i did barbell curls the other day AFTER the filthy fifty(which i scaled dramatically) just to test it out. i actually increased my barbell curl 30 lbs...(remember thats after the WOD) and i havent done a curl since february

Last edited by Brett Dartt : 07-26-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Give Crossfit one month of your life.

Stick to it. Do the WoD as you can with proper scaling and subbing for exercise you don't master the movement. Don't do more. It is enough.

Meanwhile read as much as possible on nutrition, tweak it through what you read and feel.

Sleep a lot. 8-9hours a day.

Follow the WoD as closely as possible. do not add anything even if you feel it is not enough. It is enough.

I know im repeating myself but you will ask yourself those things.

Remember 1 month be as stritc as possible.

Enjoy redefined fitness afterward or go back to you BB routine.

May the force be with you
Old 07-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

This almost sounds like a rhetorical question if you've really read all the posts, seen the videos, etc. I believe that there is even a FAQ, "is the wod enough."

I think that a large majority of the people here at one time did the "traditional" BB routine, I know I did for about 25 years. (ugh--did I really say that out loud!) I completely agree with the above posts, that is what I did. Do only the WOD's for a month and see how you like it. I said that to myself in Dec. 07 and haven't done a "traditional" program since. When was the last time I did a bicep curl???! After that month or more, see how you feel and adjust the program to your likes/dislikes. ttyl!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Kyle B. Smith

Profile:

Thanks for your input...I know there are a bunch of post about " Is the WOD enough" but when it comes to change its hard. Starting monday i will start the one month of WODs! Its so exciting knowing monday i dont have to do just a chest and tri workout...I cant wait!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Alex Europa

Profile:

Sweet! Good to see you're giving it an honest go. I find that getting someone that is new to just do the WOD is probably the hardest part. Have faith! And if you ever find yourself in doubt of is the WOD enough, go back to the videos and ask yourself if you can top the performances in those videos. Because those people JUST do the WOD.

Oh, and start and maintain a log in the Workout Logs section.

- Alex