CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Tire Drag Sled - What's a good weight for it?

I recently got an old tire for a drag sled; I'm thinking of filling it with concrete, to give it some weight, and to help secure the eye-bolt and an upright pipe to slide plates on. Doing some rough estimates, it seems like it'll need about 50lbs of concrete, though that seems a bit small intuitively. What's a good starting weight for it? If it were to have 80lbs of concrete, would that be too heavy for a minimal weight? This isn't including the weight of the tire, and of course, more weight could always be added.

I've never used one, so I don't know what a manageable weight is for it.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick D.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Tire Drag Sled - What's a good weight for it?

My humble suggestion.

Tie other stuff to the tire and take it all for a drag as well. That way you aren't locked in to a higher total weight...unless that is what you wan.t
Old 07-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Bruce (BJ) Bliffert

Profile:

If you build a "floor" in th tire you could set KB in it an do a drag swing combo.

Just for reference, we have metal sleds (50lb) and a tire sled (55lb). The friction between the tire and concrete makes it feel at least twice as heavy. You can always add weight but it would be hard to subtract cement.

BJ
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Roger Smith

Profile:

Like everyone said, I wouldn't cement it. Attach a board to it, so you can add stuff. I've heard you can even put upright pipes on it and use it as a Prowler.

The friction of the surface makes a big difference. There is a difference between rough and slick cement, clean cement vs cement with some "debris" on it. If you use it on dirt, there are differences in what is on the ground, thick grass, sparse grass, short grass etc. For these reasons, you want to be able to vary the weight as much as possible....
Old 07-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

I just don't want to bother with the board, since that's something I could see either breaking or falling out one day.

I did a test drag with just the tire and my little sister (~105#), and it didn't seem too bad. So, I put an 80# bag of concrete in it. Unfortunately, that didn't fill it up all the way. (I guess my estimates before were off - I might have pulled the wrong diameter measurement off the web, the inner rather than outer.) Once it cures, I'll give it a test with my sister on it again, and then judge it. I think another 30lbs of concrete would finish it off. That would put the sled at about 150lbs minimum - not too bad. Maybe I'm just crazy, but a 45lb 4x10 slosh pipe wasn't all that tough either after a few days. I'm already contemplating a 6 inch.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
John Edmondson

Profile:

We just stuff the tire with dumbells or kettlebells. Easily adjustable and requires no extra work or materials. It gets heavy pretty quick.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Tested it today with about 300m of drags and rows. ~100# will do for now!

I've got an interesting way that I put a removable galvanized pipe in there. I'll update with that in the next 2-3 days.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
Jason M Struck

Profile:

also depends on why you are 'dragging'. actually being able to 'sprint' under a load is wonderful training as well.

i'd keep it as light as possible and as adjustable as possible to ensure that you get the most use out of it in the future.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

http://patrickhdonnelly.blogspot.com...tire-sled.html (WFS)
There's the sled I made. It's manageable for short sprints (~40m), but I'd prefer to stay away from those anyway. The drags are where the fun is at.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Just put weights inside the tire while you're using it. Dumbells, kettlebells, chaines, sandbags - whatever you have that's heavy and will fit. Using a pickup truck tire on a concrete surface, 170 lbs of dumbells in the tire felt like 300+ lbs of plates on a metal sled over the same surface. Not sure how they'd behave on something like grass...