CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Paddy Nolan

Profile:
Just started on Crossfit - Will I bulk up?

Hi Guys

I just started on Crossfit 2 weeks ago and I'm looking forward to the benefits of the hard work I intend to put in.

My current stats: 31 years old, 152lbs, 6ft

Is it possible doing crossfit 3 or 4 times a week with the correct nutrition to gain some lean mass or do I need to supplement it with additional strength training?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Scott Borre

Profile:
Re: Just started on Crossfit - Will I bulk up?

A lot of the people who want to bulk up start with a "Starting Strength" program, which is a program in the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore. Some will continue doing a workout of the day once a week, but then after they finish the SS program they'll switch to crossfit.

The SS program is about gaining strength as fast as possible, which means also gaining mass.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Matt Corley

Profile:

If your eating enough you'll gain weight on anything, if you aren't eating enough you won't. Is you appetite good?

I was doing SS but changed over to WODs and have really enjoyed the variety and challenge of the CF workouts. I got a lot of great info from the book, so if possible I'd recommend it.

I'm 6'4" and started at 168 on June 20th. I drink b/t 3/4 and 1 gallon of whole milk every day, and I've increased my bodyweight up to 183, as of last night. My shirts all fit tighter across the shoulders/back and my pants fit the same.
Hope this helps.

There have been a lot of posts of CF vs BB so search for them and check them out. Also search for Starting Strength + wiki for a great resource on SS. Its not a replacement for the book, but it's very helpful.

Best of luck, and
Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Matt Corley

Profile:

Also check out the hybrid programs post by Gant.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Corley View Post
I'm 6'4" and started at 168 on June 20th. I drink b/t 3/4 and 1 gallon of whole milk every day, and I've increased my bodyweight up to 183, as of last night. My shirts all fit tighter across the shoulders/back and my pants fit the same.
Hope this helps.
I am glad you wrote this. I am also 6'4" and weigh about 178ish pounds and was wondering if milk would be good to try... I will start drinking milk like a mad man.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

Or just keep it simple, work hard and eat lots of real food, drink lots of whole milk. (more then you think!)

Do the WOD, do SS, do the Hybrid, do MEBB, do anything you see posted here, and eat lots of real food, drink lots of whole milk.

Don't make it more complicated then it has to be when you're starting out.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Robert Newman

Profile:

SS is a great way to start out, but at 31 the gallon of milk a day may add more bodyfat than desired. It also takes a lot of determination to down a gallon of milk a day for 2-4 months! Also painful on the wallet. You should put on some muscle on CF though.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Kizzee View Post
I am glad you wrote this. I am also 6'4" and weigh about 178ish pounds and was wondering if milk would be good to try... I will start drinking milk like a mad man.
I drink the whole milk throughout the day, every day, and it usually takes about 6 to 8 hours to get it all down. When I'm at work I drink a big swig from the jug every 30 minutes or so, and when I'm at home I drink some anytime that I pass the frig. You'll never be hungry, but make sure to still eat your normal 3 or 4 meals a day. The milk is extra.

Also, if you can't tolerate it you can try Lactaid milk, or get the Lactaid tabs at the pharmacy. The last thing, with lots of calcium is some difficulty using the can

Best of luck. My goal is to get up to about 200 pounds, I'm hoping for late July or August.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Andrew Wilson

Profile:

Matt, is it mainly lean mass or fat? I had sports nutrition last month, be talked about milk & its revelance to increasing mass because of it's whey. I'm very interested in this..
Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Matt, is it mainly lean mass or fat? I had sports nutrition last month, be talked about milk & its revelance to increasing mass because of it's whey. I'm very interested in this..
My scale does bodyfat automatically, and its has flucuated b/t 8 and 10% since I started this. Is it muscle? I'm sure that some of it is, there is also probably quite a bit of water gain, b/c I'm definitely fully hydrated now.

So according to the scale I've gained about 15 pounds. Take the extremes (lowest BF at beginning and highest of the last 3 days), I was at 168 at 8%, and I'm now 184 at 10%. I had 13.4 pounds of fat 3 weeks ago, and I now have about 18.4 pounds of fat, according to my scale. So 5 pounds of fat, and 11 pounds of other. My waist size has not changed at all. I should probably do a dermal pinch of the love handles area to keep track of the changes there. I'll see if I can find some calipers tonight.