CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:
Pros and cons of squatting bare foot

Hi everyone,

I've been deadlifting bare foot for some time now and just love that natural feeling it gives. I hadn't thought about squatting bare foot and did it in my warm-up today with some light weight, and that feeling was very refreshing. I want to switch to that from now on.

It seems to me that by keeping things that natural and functional, it can only be beneficial on the long run. But I would like to hear your thoughts about it, especially from the bare footers out here. What would the advantages/disadvantages be ?

(I do understand it's necessary to have shoes for some oly lifting, but I'm just asking regarding the squat)

Merci beaucoup !
Old 06-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: Pros and cons of squatting bare foot

I've been doing most of my lifts sans shoes this month and much prefer it. I've never tried, say, oly shoes, but sock feet seem to work fine for everything so far.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Justin Baum

Profile:

i started off doing all workouts with my five fingers but now i do everything barefoot (except burpees - tried it once and ripped the skin off of my big toe). i don't know if it's right or wrong but i love the feeling of bare foot on cement.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

Tirzah and Justin, I also have that "feel good" effect. Hooray for barefoot then !
Old 06-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

One thing I realized I love about CF is that I do it at home and I can do it w/out shirt and shoes; keeps me cool and cuts down on the laundry! (no more sweaty socks and shirts every day!) I live in Florida.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
Jordan Franklin

Profile:

If squatting barefoot is wrong, I don't want to be right!

Barefoot or bust!!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Bruce Drake

Profile:

I always kick off my shoes when approaching the upper end of a deadlift grinder. Did it this morining for a back squat grinder and I felt so good I added 15 lbs to a PR. Perhaps we can convince Coach to add a naked WOD.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Squat shoes allow you to go deeper without absurd amounts of hamstring and ankle flexibility. If you either have that flexibility, or only want to go to the hip-crease/patella-tendon line, then there's nothing wrong with barefoot.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
Ian Haya

Profile:

Pros: Better force application of foot to ground and more tactile feedback about where your balance point is on your foot so you can correct. Also, on Patrick's point regarding flexibility, if you don't have the ankle/hamstring flexibility, a heavy weighted squat is a great way to naturally develop that flexibility and strength throughout the motion.

Cons: If you ever plan on competing, you would have to adjust and re-learn a bit to lifting in shoes of some sort. Also, socks=dirty socks or feet=dirty feet, but fivefingers = clean feet and clean socks!

I just got my fivefingers a couple days ago and did a snatch/squat workout in them last night and they felt great (hit a bodyweight snatch!). Before that I'd squat with either my Chuck's or in my sock feet. Socked feet felt better, but I ruined a lot of socks that way.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
Zac Jereb

Profile:

I love lifting barefoot, but there's one major con, depending on the floor surface: foot sweat. Recently I started out doing some TGUs on concrete only to have my sweaty foot slip under me. I swiftly moved to one of the rugs (this gym has a rather "bohemian" interior) and I was good. But if I'm going to be moving on concrete, wood, or some other such sweat-repellant surface, I don the shoes (a nice, flat-soled, bare-bones pair of Vans skate shoes).