CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Shaun Eames

Profile:
Sick after core workouts, advice?

After using Crossfit for a reference to a lot of the working out I've been doing in the last few months and shedding 20 pounds of weight in the process, I've noticed a strange thing that has been occurring during my workouts.

If I focus on 1 muscle group at a time (changing them but keeping them focused on 1 area), I can work out for 2 hours. I hiked for 7 hours through a 4,000 elevation change and 8 miles and was fine. I can bike for 2 hours and 20 miles and be fine. I can run for 1 hour and 5-10 miles and be fine.

However, whenever I do a heavy core workout, I become extremely sick. I met with a trainer on Wednesday who throws some interesting workouts my way and breaks me down pretty quick, but when we start the core stuff I get wrecked, not my energy level but my mind and stomach.

I tested myself last Friday to see when I started getting sick during a workout. Sorry if these workouts aren't named correctly, these are general workouts I did to test when I started to get sick. They are also very simple movements so I can figure out when it goes downhill. I took it easy today because of my arm and knee. I also alternate between two stations between workouts to stay more active.

4 Sets of 170lbs isolated bench (6-12 reps each) - The Hammer machines, not great for joints, but a nurse recently stabbed me to far when donating blood and kind of injured my arm.
4 Sets of Pull-ups (18-8 reps each, depending on how many I can do)
4 Sets of an isolated back workout, basically a pulling bench press.
4 Sets of 100lbs isolated sitting bench (20 reps each)
4 Sets of 100lbs isolated military press
4 Sets of 200lbs calf raises on a leg press machine (as many as I can do, and lower weight because when hiking I injured my knee)
4 Sets of knee lifts (simple ab workout I do in-between workouts on a bench, 20 on each side and 20 in the middle, hard to explain this one)
4 Sets of a tricep workout, (basically pulling down on one of the wired machines, using the rope attachment.)
4 Sets of a bicep curl using a bench press bar, my arm was injured so no extra weight.

Here’s where it goes downhill.

4 Sets of squats on an isolated hammer machine. I start to get dizzy.
4 Sets of, I have no name for this, but you go to the same machine I used for triceps and use a single hand grip attachment then turn to the side and twist with your arms straight out. You can do this going upwards, downwards, or side to side depending on where you have the machines height set. Now I'm becoming sick and working-out is getting difficult.

I go to do some regular free weight tricep workouts and I've got to run to the bathroom and I can barely stand up. This same thing happened to me on Wednesday when the trainer asked me to do some core workouts 35 minutes into the session. That was simply with a balance ball and pulling my legs in, in a push up position. I've also gotten sick doing jumping exercises, such as jumping over the steps that the step class uses.

Now that i've written a book, does anyone have any idea on what I can do or what may be the issue here? I can't seem to find any information on people getting sick during core workouts. When I get sick, I can not stand up without losing balance or slightly blacking out, I throw up or almost throw up, and it lasts for about 20 minutes.

I'm 168 Lbs and 5'10. Last tested I was 15% body fat and 172.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Sick after core workouts, advice?

Thats just alot of different stuff, maybe thats why. I see few excersizes that really challenge the core (Turkish getups, deadlift, any squat variant, especially OHS or 1 armed pressing). I'm doing a combination of Weightlifting (Pittsburgh BBC in Bridgevill) and strenght training. I do at most 5 excersizes in a day and that includes abs and lower back.

WHat are your trying to accomplish, what are your goals?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Dave Parmly

Profile:

Since it looks like this is not a typical CF WOD or protocol, I'm not sure how helpful many on here will be. So many of those you listed appear to be isolation movements, which is kind of beyond-the-pale around here. I assume you are doing them in rapid succession, ergo, High-Intensity.

All I know is, I feel sick just READING it! Good luck, man.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Shaun Eames

Profile:

My goal is fitness. I'm not after huge muscles. I'm looking for muscle endurance and heart conditioning. The benefits of course are looking good, but in the end I'd like to be in my best condition. The workout was so long because I was trying to pinpoint when I got sick, but even after 35 minutes into my trainers workout I got sick when doing a core balance workout.

I considered possibly to little protein intake or food energy intake, but I try to eat healthy and I try to include chicken or fish in everything i eat.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Eames View Post
After using Crossfit for a reference to a lot of the working out I've been doing in the last few months and shedding 20 pounds of weight in the process, I've noticed a strange thing that has been occurring during my workouts.

If I focus on 1 muscle group at a time (changing them but keeping them focused on 1 area), I can work out for 2 hours. I hiked for 7 hours through a 4,000 elevation change and 8 miles and was fine. I can bike for 2 hours and 20 miles and be fine. I can run for 1 hour and 5-10 miles and be fine.

However, whenever I do a heavy core workout, I become extremely sick. I met with a trainer on Wednesday who throws some interesting workouts my way and breaks me down pretty quick, but when we start the core stuff I get wrecked, not my energy level but my mind and stomach.

I tested myself last Friday to see when I started getting sick during a workout. Sorry if these workouts aren't named correctly, these are general workouts I did to test when I started to get sick. They are also very simple movements so I can figure out when it goes downhill. I took it easy today because of my arm and knee. I also alternate between two stations between workouts to stay more active.

4 Sets of 170lbs isolated bench (6-12 reps each) - The Hammer machines, not great for joints, but a nurse recently stabbed me to far when donating blood and kind of injured my arm.
4 Sets of Pull-ups (18-8 reps each, depending on how many I can do)
4 Sets of an isolated back workout, basically a pulling bench press.
4 Sets of 100lbs isolated sitting bench (20 reps each)
4 Sets of 100lbs isolated military press
4 Sets of 200lbs calf raises on a leg press machine (as many as I can do, and lower weight because when hiking I injured my knee)
4 Sets of knee lifts (simple ab workout I do in-between workouts on a bench, 20 on each side and 20 in the middle, hard to explain this one)
4 Sets of a tricep workout, (basically pulling down on one of the wired machines, using the rope attachment.)
4 Sets of a bicep curl using a bench press bar, my arm was injured so no extra weight.

Here’s where it goes downhill.

4 Sets of squats on an isolated hammer machine. I start to get dizzy.
4 Sets of, I have no name for this, but you go to the same machine I used for triceps and use a single hand grip attachment then turn to the side and twist with your arms straight out. You can do this going upwards, downwards, or side to side depending on where you have the machines height set. Now I'm becoming sick and working-out is getting difficult.

I go to do some regular free weight tricep workouts and I've got to run to the bathroom and I can barely stand up. This same thing happened to me on Wednesday when the trainer asked me to do some core workouts 35 minutes into the session. That was simply with a balance ball and pulling my legs in, in a push up position. I've also gotten sick doing jumping exercises, such as jumping over the steps that the step class uses.

Now that i've written a book, does anyone have any idea on what I can do or what may be the issue here? I can't seem to find any information on people getting sick during core workouts. When I get sick, I can not stand up without losing balance or slightly blacking out, I throw up or almost throw up, and it lasts for about 20 minutes.

I'm 168 Lbs and 5'10. Last tested I was 15% body fat and 172.
I think you're blurring the concept of what an actual injury is with what is pain around the area in question. If your arm was "injured", you wouldn't be able to do the majority of the things that you list.

What you say you can do in the early part of the post all revolved around Long Slow Distance (LSD) aerobic activities, which are rarely incorporated into the CrossFit methodology.

My first inclination is to just say you are flat out not conditioned for the activities that you are getting sick from. I have to make that assumption because you aren't my client, and I don't know anything else about you aside from what you presented here.

My second inclination is to tell you to look around the CrossFit website. The methodology of training is vastly different than what you abide by in your description. It isn't my place to unload all of that information on you, particularly when there is a website full of that information. If you're wanting to maximize your level of fitness in all regards, then the holistic fitness training that CrossFit offers is the way to do so. More than likely your trainer is not the person to talk to in order to learn about CrossFit, much less talk about quality training to begin with.

I encourage you to learn about this methodology, especially if you are hoping to seek advice from the community that practices it. Good luck.

P.S. The "core balance workout" you mention participating with your trainer is an unfortunately poor way to develop the 'core'. This method of developing the core doesn't match up to the functional movements of CrossFit.

Last edited by Justin Lascek : 06-26-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Shaun Eames

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parmly View Post
Since it looks like this is not a typical CF WOD or protocol, I'm not sure how helpful many on here will be. So many of those you listed appear to be isolation movements, which is kind of beyond-the-pale around here. I assume you are doing them in rapid succession, ergo, High-Intensity.

All I know is, I feel sick just READING it! Good luck, man.
I completely understand the protocol on the website and I knew I was running into a fire when posting all the isolated workouts, but it was just a test. I saw the best results after reading Crossfit and doing the workouts they suggest. I would build my own own routine and use what I could to make a working routine with the items I had at the gym. I've just really started seeking more advice on getting into better shape, so I'm newer to Crossfit. I was referenced here by someone at the gym and since then I've used its ideas and suggestions to assist me and it has worked very well.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Shaun Eames

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lascek View Post
I think you're blurring the concept of what an actual injury is with what is pain around the area in question. If your arm was "injured", you wouldn't be able to do the majority of the things that you list.

What you say you can do in the early part of the post all revolved around Long Slow Distance (LSD) aerobic activities, which are rarely incorporated into the CrossFit methodology.

My first inclination is to just say you are flat out not conditioned for the activities that you are getting sick from. I have to make that assumption because you aren't my client, and I don't know anything else about you aside from what you presented here.

My second inclination is to tell you to look around the CrossFit website. The methodology of training is vastly different than what you abide by in your description. It isn't my place to unload all of that information on you, particularly when there is a website full of that information. If you're wanting to maximize your level of fitness in all regards, then the holistic fitness training that CrossFit offers is the way to do so. More than likely your trainer is not the person to talk to in order to learn about CrossFit, much less talk about quality training to begin with.

I encourage you to learn about this methodology, especially if you are hoping to seek advice from the community that practices it. Good luck.

P.S. The "core balance workout" you mention participating with your trainer is an unfortunately poor way to develop the 'core'. This method of developing the core doesn't match up to the functional movements of CrossFit.
I am sorry that what I describe does not hold true to the CrossFit methodology as I am very new to the CrossFit style. The reason I did the workout In question was to see at which point did my body start acting strange. If I continue with 1 muscle group workouts, I am fine, but when I include squats/thrusters/hanging leg lifts I have problems.

The arm injury was a very strange injury for me to have. The nurse went about half an inch to far into my arm and caused a strange weakness in the joint for about 2 weeks. The leg injured was caused during hiking and the pain was only when forward pressure was applied going downhill or down a set of steps.

Once again, I do apologize for posting a non-CrossFit workout, but I am trying to better myself and use CrossFits ideas and I would hope thats the goal of CrossFit in the long run. There is no CrossFit near my location, so I can only use the workouts, ideas, and advice to better my workouts.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Chris Walls

Profile:

The reason thrusters, squats, etc, multi-joint compound barbell moves, affect you so is because they are hard work and quite taxing on your CNS. Ease into them, start light, start slow, make sure form is dialed in before increasing load/intensity. The hardest part is checking the ego at the door and ramping up into it.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Brent Lucas

Profile:

What type of sick?

You are dizzy and unbalanced and get the spins sick? (motion related, inner ear)

Or your feel like you ate a dead cat, Arnold is siting your chest can't breathe, 3rd day of the flu sick. (exertion, physical impact, heat stress related)

Is this something that has just started recently? Or have you had this since you started training hard?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
Shaun Eames

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
The reason thrusters, squats, etc, multi-joint compound barbell moves, affect you so is because they are hard work and quite taxing on your CNS. Ease into them, start light, start slow, make sure form is dialed in before increasing load/intensity. The hardest part is checking the ego at the door and ramping up into it.
I've worked really hard at Thrusters and Squats as the website suggests and have really improved from where I started, but getting sick afterwards just seems like part of life now.