CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
Michele Weeks

Profile:
Outdoor Flooring Options

I've done a search on the forum already, but didn't come up with anything close to what I was looking for, so here's my dilemna:

I have an outdoor area that is approx 20' x 20' that I would like to use for an outdoor CrossFit workout area.

Right now the ground is not level. It is covered partially with wood mulch and weed barrier. I am trying to make a decision about what to do to get this area ready and best suited for outdoor workouts.

Any suggestions would be great.

Of course, I would have get rid of the leftover mulch and level it out. But, after that, is sod the best alternative or is there such a thing on the market for outdoor gym flooring that would tolerate the rain, snow and humidity of NY weather?

I'm open to suggestions, ideas, brainstorming, etc.:stir:

Thanks so much in advance.
Michele
Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
Neil Holloway

Profile:
Re: Outdoor Flooring Options

Are you going to have anything at a height? Things such as a climbing rope, bachar ladder, rock wall, etc. If you are, you should make a landing pit that contains either: shredded bark mulch, wood chips, sand, or gravel. Then you can break your fall. Any outdoor surface will be fine for dropping weights on, except for maybe concrete.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I think maybe invest in a lifting platform (homemade would suffice) that you can easily move in and out when you're doing your workouts.

You don't want a ton of rubber flooring mats out there I don't think, but a lifting platform would take up minimal space and make all of the necessary exercises and lifts available to you.

If I'm doing heavy oly lifts (no bumpers), I do them in the grass, just in case I have to miss, but even on grass it's no good to drop iron plates. So as long as you've got bumpers, I think you'll be fine.

If you're going to invest in a lifting platform, you might as well cover the rest in concrete or brick or something stable to perform the rest of the WODs on. The oly lifts are really all I can think of that you'd need any kind of special flooring for... other than that, as long as it's flat and relatively stable, I think you'll be fine.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Justin Blade

Profile:

Not sure how much you want to spend, but I just put some snapsports indoor bounce back in my home gym and love it. It's a really nice surface to work out on.

Typically you have to put down concrete to put in these types of courts, but they build them outside all of the time. They can withstand the elements and are very functional. I think the outdoor bounce back is like $5.00 a sq. foot. Probably cost you about $3-$4K. to do the area you are talking about. Probably not the most cost effect route, but if you're looking for something super functionally and professional looking this is it.

SFW
http://www.snapsports.com/bounceBack.html
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

That's not bad, Justin... pretty cool. The only worry I'd have with outdoor flooring would be mold and mildew and stuff, and these look like they pretty much take care of that problem.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Michele Weeks

Profile:

Thanks so much for the great ideas. I like the bounceback idea. I won't do the entire 20' x 20'.

Some ideas of mine are to do a custom shed for outdoor massage(8' x 10') therapy sessions and indoor workouts during the very cold season. Then outside of the shed have pull-up bars, climbing rope, a place for lifts and open space for other exercises -- jump boxes, burpees, jump roping, etc.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll post photos of my progress over the next few weeks.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Douglas A. Glisson

Profile:

Justin,

That stuff looks great? How about a couple of pics of your gym?

Glisson
Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Justin Blade

Profile:

Not quite finished with the gym. Still got to put up the TV and get the computer so I can watch spinervals, H2H Kettlebell circuits, jukebox and ring timer . Also need to order my bumpers, but have been waiting until Wright had bars back instock. Going to pick up a some plyoboxes on Thursday. But here are some pictures of the indoor bounce back.

SFW
http://www.snapsports.com/indoorBounceBack.html

It's pretty durable, I've dropped a 45# kettlebell while juggling and not dented it. It's mainly a court floor, which is nice for jumping rope, cause it gives a little. Also good for wife's kickboxing, cause she likes to use bare feet.

It cost about $900 to do the room which is 16X11. I'm pleased with the finished product and would
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8247.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1985  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8236.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1986  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8238.jpg
Views:	166