CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Mark Knisely

Profile:
Lifting heavy bad for you when your young?

Is lifting heavy bad for you when your seventeen, I don't think I'm done growing, and I was wondering is low reps, heavy weight, the best for building muscle/mass or is that more geared towards strength? And if not what is the best combo of reps/weight to build mass/muscle.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Re: Lifting heavy bad for you when your young?

No, I'm 19 and I lift heavy. What are your goals? Do you want to get huge and strong. Do you want to look like one of those guys from bowflex commercials? If you want to get strong and big, Starting Strength is the way to go. The Starting Strength book is great for people wanting to get stronger and bigger. If you want to look like a guy from bowflex, your probably headed towards body building. Define your specific goals and a better answer can be formulated.

Last edited by Jason Tanner : 06-24-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you aren't strong and aren't taking steroids, you have little chance of getting big.

Might I suggest you read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe?
Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Mark Knisely

Profile:

Does starting strength build muscle as well or do you just get strong and fat cause i don't want to gain bad weight i want to build muscle
Old 06-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Not what-so-ever. You will build muscle from this program. It depends on your goals, if you want to be bigger and stronger then thats the way to go. If you just want to look like a body builder, then you will have to do body building. If you use the search function you can find plenty of discussion on Starting Strength. You can also check out http://www.************.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36 (WFS) for more specific discussion on Starting Strength. Go order the book. Read it. If you still have questions, then come back.

Last edited by Jason Tanner : 06-24-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

By 17, your bones should be fused and you are pretty much down growing. There is the last growth spurt that many males have after HS (18-20 ) but that isn't as significant as the post pubescent growth. Don't really have to worry about fracturing growth plates that late in the game.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Mark Knisely

Profile:

I don't wanna get to bulky i still I just want to gain lean muscle/mass will SS give me that or is there another program better suited for it
Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Andres Gordo

Profile:

I'm 17, I started lifting (body building, yes yes I know that was 2 years ago)
And I'm 6'1 So I'm bigger than your "average" size person. And Guys usually grow up to 21 years old.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Weight change has more to do with diet than anything else. You're 6'1", how much do you weight, and what are your maxes for deadlift bench and below parallel squat?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:58 AM   #10
Victor Putz

Profile:

Short form, Mark:

Do Starting Strength to build a strength base. On its own, with a good diet, you will build lean muscle mass. If you do the full "and a gallon of milk every day", you will put on a bit more. What you won't do, at your age, is put on a lot of fat. Plus, if you "finish" a round of SS and move on to other activities such as Crossfit, your added muscle mass will enable you to perform better, and as long as you have a good diet, you'll be lean and, as it were, mean.

Shorter form:

Lifting heavy things make you strong like bull. Eating proper diet make you lean like cheetah. Doing both make you, er, healthy bull-cheetah hybrid.