CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Jason Naubur

Profile:
Just how much is 1/4 cow?

Fortunately, I found a local grass-fed beef farmer, who sells by the 1/4, 1/2 or full cow.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what I will be getting myself into with 1/4 cow. They said it is 170lbs but that doesn't help.

Does anyone have a breakdown of what cuts you might typically get with 1/4 cow. And any advice on what cuts are good to get and how much ground up?

Will a chest freezer that is ~36Wx20Dx36H (7.2 cubic ft) fit 1/4 cow?

I can just imagine bringing it all home and suddenly realizing I can't possibly freeze it all! Meat sale!

Jason
Old 06-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Aaron Trent

Profile:
Re: Just how much is 1/4 cow?

How full is your chest?
My parents filled one up a few years back but I'm not sure if it was a 1/4 or 1/2 of a cow. I can ask.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Naubur View Post
Fortunately, I found a local grass-fed beef farmer, who sells by the 1/4, 1/2 or full cow.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what I will be getting myself into with 1/4 cow. They said it is 170lbs but that doesn't help.

Does anyone have a breakdown of what cuts you might typically get with 1/4 cow. And any advice on what cuts are good to get and how much ground up?

Will a chest freezer that is ~36Wx20Dx36H (7.2 cubic ft) fit 1/4 cow?

I can just imagine bringing it all home and suddenly realizing I can't possibly freeze it all! Meat sale!

Jason
Jason, you stud. What a great pick up line, "Hey Hot Stuff, I have a 1/4 cow in my freezer, you want to come over, check it out"

OK, as to your question, I just split a 1/2 with four friends, plan on getting four supermarket sized paper bags full of wrapped meats(1/4). I received a combo of Roasts, Brisket, Steaks, T-Bones, Rib Eyes, Ground, Chipped, Patties. If you want extra Ground Beef, tell him ahead of time, or just go with his suggestion this time around, eat it all, then you'll know better next time what you like, dislike.

My little 5.5 cu, is slowly being filled with some great meats. Goat/Lamb/Pork does not take up as much room as your 1/4 steer, so go for it.

You have plenty of room for a goat, lamb or swine in that freezer and I suggest you get more meat. Women like a man that is packing some serious meat. Trust me on this.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Trampas Hutches

Profile:

I come from a Ranching upbringing (born raised on farm). A lot of times a cow sometimes depends on the slaughter wt or size of the cow if you raise it yourself. Generally 1/4 side of beef will fill up 4 butcher boxes that are about 2-2.5 foot long, 1-1.5 foot wide and about 6-8 inches deep. One side of beef (1.2 cow) will be 8 boxes etc. The cuts are all up to you. You can request more steaks than burger or more roasts etc. My family of wife, 6 yo and 3 yo and myself go through 1/4 about 4-8 months depending on the time of year, summer time we go through more (grilling). Luckily they are from my parents so I just pay for processing and I KNOW what they are fed and hormones etc.

Hmmm I think a ribeye is for dinner tonight
Old 06-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Don't you also get the organs when you buy something like a 1/4 cow?

I heard organs are precious...
Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Andres Gordo

Profile:

If you buy a full cow, do you get it alive?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Adam Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres Gordo View Post
If you buy a full cow, do you get it alive?
hahahahaha priceless.

You also get to name it, ride it, and frolic in the meadow with it.... right before you shoot it in the head.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Stefan Borovina

Profile:

Where exactly can you buy a 1/4 cow thats been grassfed?

I just imagined what my freezer would look like full of grassfed cow and i got a little teary eyed.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
Andrew Dossman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hughes View Post
You also get to name it, ride it, and frolic in the meadow with it.... right before you shoot it in the head.
for some reason the book Of mice and Men just came into my head when i read this
Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #10
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Stefan, check out www.eatwild.com (w/f/s), which has a directory of many organic farms, ranches, etc.

1/4 cow should fit just fine in a 7cu ft freezer. If they quote you a weight, odds are it's the CHWT (cold hanging weight) before it's been cut up, so you will end up getting less. But 1/4 cow is still a fair amount and should last you a while.

Buying more should save you some money as well, so consider going up to a half carcass and maybe splitting with someone. 1/4 is a decent price around here, but it all depends, I guess...

Enjoy