CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
JonathanEdwards

Profile:  
Deadlift - sudden back pain/small pop

Hello Everyone,
Today I was doing deadlifts. I warmed up by rowing then stretching. I did a set of 10 135 lb. lifts that felt great. My max deadlift is 460. I was doing 5 sets of three. I got to 355 lbs. and had the weight about knee height. Suddenly I felt a quick pain in my lower back with a small pop or something like a pop. I immediately stopped and took the weight off. I was walking like I was 90 years old and it hurt to bend over or sit down.

I went home and used a hot pack for about two hours to heat the area and lossen it up. I have no pain in my legs, and I think it feels mostly muscular. My hips feel tight and it hurst to bend over or sit down. I have been taking naproxen and plan to ice tonight before bed.

I am just wondering what steps I should take to make sure the pain goes away. After heating it feels a lot looser and the naproxen has helped with the pain. When I do hip swivels it feels somewhat tight but not awful.

Should I continue heating or would ice be better. Also are there any stretches or exercises I could do to help work this out. Is a doctors visit necessary? Do you think I could slipped a disc or hurt my spine? Thanks.

Jon
Old 06-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Deadlift - sudden back pain/small pop

1. If there was swelling you should've iced instead of heat.

2. If it's muscular and there's no swelling you should heat.

3. Deep tissue massage should help a bunch with the tightness. Maybe some light stretching but putting the back in flexion is not such a great idea.

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY: it's a back injury. I'd see a doc on this one. You don't want to mess with your back.

If it's a herniated disk which it might be, you need to have it checked out.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Ryan Whitenack

Profile:

Jonathan, as someone who has chronic back problems from not initially getting my back looked at when I initially hurt it, I can only recommend that you go very easy tomorrow (sunday) and go to the doctor on Monday. Repeat: go to the doctor. I am in incredible amounts of pain right now because of an injury on Wednesday. It is the 3rd or 4th time this chronic problem has popped up. Get it in the acute phase before it becomes chronic!

As a matter of fact, unless you were going really heavy on the deadlift, I would find a very good chiropractor or someone finely versed in the ways of the athletic body to diagnose why your back did that. My back is in it's current state because of poor hip flexors and hamstring tightness--those don't hurt but the back is more than making up for it. Though too late, I see a "Chiropractor" that does Active Release Technique (ART) and it has been very helpful; I would recommend that to you also.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
JonathanEdwards

Profile:  

Thanks guys.

I don't think there is swelling at least very noticeable. The heat really seemed to help. I now am icing it a bit, but may go back to heat. It feels like it is getting a little better but we will see in the am. I am not going to work out at all until it feels better.

Steven, by flexion you mean curving my back to form the lower back curve? i.e. pushing my abdomen out.

Any helpful stretch advice would be great as well. Thanks for the responses.

Jon
Old 06-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #5
Matthew Govea

Profile:

Hey Jon, I can only share my experience and you can take it for what it's worth to you. I heard but mostly felt a pop in my back one afternoon while leaning forward and grabbing something. There was a little pain, but not much so after a couple hours I thought nothing of it. Later that night, sat down in a chair lazily (I was slouched and in flexion), turned to my right and picked up my laptop off of the desk to move it to my lap. As soon as I held it in the air, I felt a huge debilitating pain. I dropped my computer on the ground, then got down on the floor and stayed there for 2 days.

Based on my past, I'd say ice regularly if it feels like there's stiffness or blockage in your lower back. It's very important that you don't go into flexion or rotation. Keep that spine stabilized. Pay special attention to how you transition from one position to another (in and out of bed, on/off the toilet, sitting to standing, etc.). For me, there wasn't an appearance of noticeable swelling, but there was definitely a lot going on inside. Ice and naproxen helped reduce it the most, while keeping my spine as stable as possible kept it from too much further aggravation.

I hope it's something very minor for you, but I'd echo everybody else's advice. Go see a doctor. This is an area that you HAVE TO know what's going on. Good luck
Old 06-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #6
Matthew Govea

Profile:

Look at the back extension/hip extension/back and hip extension video under the exercises to see the difference between back extension and flexion. I'd try to explain it in words, but I'm having trouble describing it. Sounds like you are confusing extension and flexion though.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:41 AM   #7
Brad Thompson

Profile:

Go to the Dr. If it is a muscle injury, try Mark Rippetoe's suggestion:
(WFS)
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/ma...injury-783034/
Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Back flexion = rounding your back = hunching over (what old people have a tendency to do)

Keep it in extension (aka good posture -- when standing up looking at a side view your back should be straight like you are in the military). Keep it straight even when you sit down. Like Matthew said if it's minor something really simple can easily make it a major injury.

And yeah, again, see a doc. Probably the best thing....
Old 06-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Stuart Buck

Profile:

I've done this before (experienced lower back pain after twisting to get something), but it always gets better quickly. So should I see a doctor? My usual take on back pain is that doctors may not be able to help very much. What would a doctor actually do?

WFS:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all
Quote:
Yet for all the costs, for all the hours spent in doctors' offices and operating suites, for all the massage therapy and acupuncture and spinal manipulations, study after study is leading medical experts to ask what, if anything, is doing any good.

A variety of studies have suggested that in 85 percent of cases it is impossible to say why a person's back hurts, said Dr. Richard Deyo, a professor of medicine and health services at the University of Washington. And most of the time, the pain goes away with or without medical treatment.

''Nearly everyone gets better, nearly everyone improves,'' said Dr. Deyo, citing evidence from large epidemiological studies.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb.../na-backpain13
Quote:
The total cost of treating back pain in the United States has risen 65% in the last decade, but after all the pricey treatments, many people are still left with an aching back and an increasingly empty wallet, U.S. researchers said Tuesday.

They said treating spine problems in the United States costs $85.9 billion a year, rivaling the economic burden of treating cancer, which costs $89 billion.

Higher spending on prescription drugs, more advanced diagnostic tests and more frequent outpatient visits helped drive the increases, as well as greater patient demand for treatment and more use of spinal fusion surgery and instruments, researchers said.

Yet, for all of the spending, they found people with spine problems actually felt worse.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Stuart:

Going to a doc (a good doc) who can figure out what is actually wrong will give a good idea of what treatments if any can be done. This is extremely important.

But also, it depends on what's wrong (after diagnosis at least). If it's something that tends to go away one would hope it's muscular and not damaged to any disk like herniation or anything. Generally, non-med stuff like ice/heat, stretching, foam rolling, massage especially, possibly manipulation (with muscle adjustment as well), and such things can help/alleviate pain. But it really depends on what exactly is wrong, heh. If it's a herniated disk all of these might not help all that much.

Last edited by Steven Low : 06-15-2008 at 01:13 PM.