CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Matt Corley

Profile:
How often to Tabata?

I've read thru Grant's posts and I really think that Tabata's will help my conditioning for grappling. But my question is how often? I'll be grappling twice a week, the only conditioning will be rolling for about 20 minutes. I will hopefully be starting SS soon as well. Otherwise that's it.
I want to do the Tabata's as outlined by Grant 4 exercises (squat, situp, pushup, and pullups) x 6 rounds. Is once a week optimal, or should I do it twice?

Thanks in advance,
Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: How often to Tabata?

What else are you doing, wrok wise. How long are your grappling sessions, how many times a week, what other work are you doing, lifting, cardio, etc?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Matt Corley

Profile:

Grappling sessions are about an hour long, 20 minutes of rolling without time limits (we roll until someone is submitted), I train twice a week and the occasional Saturday. For work, I'm a pharmacist and work two 12 hr shifts and two 9 hr shifts every week.
Other training will be weightlifting, and based on the SS program as much as possible. Not sure how often that is, b/c I don't have the book yet.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Brenda Matthews Wilkening

Profile:

Matt,
Where in Phoenix are you Crossfitting? I'm going through the clinic this week-end at Camp Pendleton and will be looking to find other CF's in the Phoenix area (where I'm from, saw your post). Just wondering where you're working out and whether or not you and any other folks might be interested in working with a newbie (me!).

I bet for Tabata's 2x week is probably good....

Regards,
Brenda
Old 06-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Matt Corley

Profile:

I do my grappling at Phx Fight Club, and I'm doing what crossfit I can at my house. There are at 2 or 3 places in the Valley but I haven't gone to any, yet. I'm still a newbie as well, I haven't even finished my first WOD yet
Old 06-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Corley View Post
Grappling sessions are about an hour long, 20 minutes of rolling without time limits (we roll until someone is submitted), I train twice a week and the occasional Saturday. For work, I'm a pharmacist and work two 12 hr shifts and two 9 hr shifts every week.
Other training will be weightlifting, and based on the SS program as much as possible. Not sure how often that is, b/c I don't have the book yet.
I wouldn't to Tabata more than 2-3 times a week. Probably 2
Old 06-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I think I'd second the 2 times a week suggestion... Steven Low, I think, knows tons about this sort of thing, so maybe he'll chime in with some thoughts. Usually when I've gone on "Tabata cycles" though, I never did more than twice a week for a few weeks at a time. I got bored with them pretty quickly actually, but otherwise I think I made decent progress.

Matt, how are you liking the Phoenix Fight Club? I've been looking to get into some "casual" grappling and Jiu-Jitsu, but most of the places I've discovered are geared more towards serious competition in one form or another. Just looking to have some fun and learn some stuff, really.

CrossFit Southwest in Tempe seems like a decent facility. I haven't stopped by personally, but I've recommended it to a few people who've asked for help getting started, based on what I've read about their place and trainers. There's also one in Phoenix which I believe is more of a garage gym. You can't go wrong with an affiliate, period, so I say take your pick, or try them all!

As for the rest of the "Phoenix posts," there was a post in "Find a CrossFitter" for Phoenix folks some time ago. I think it'd be awesome to brave the 110+ degrees and do something in a park somewhere with as many people as we can muster. I'm trying to get a few of my Marine Corps poolees to drink the kool-aid with me and get in on it too. So far the only person I've ever CF'd with has been my brother, at home.

If it's any incentive, I could bring a Concept 2 Model D, a GHD and some rings to the party

Planning on hitting a 24 Hour Fitness *gasp* on 32nd and Camelback tomorrow evening some time with the girlfriend, and maybe crank out a Cindy or Fran... have taken about a week off, so should be interesting.

Yeah, anyways... sorry to get off topic about your Tabata question.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Created a new thread for any interest in a Phoenix WOD

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33104 (w/f/s)

Now back to the Tabata discussion
Old 06-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
I think I'd second the 2 times a week suggestion... Steven Low, I think, knows tons about this sort of thing, so maybe he'll chime in with some thoughts. Usually when I've gone on "Tabata cycles" though, I never did more than twice a week for a few weeks at a time. I got bored with them pretty quickly actually, but otherwise I think I made decent progress.

Matt, how are you liking the Phoenix Fight Club? I've been looking to get into some "casual" grappling and Jiu-Jitsu, but most of the places I've discovered are geared more towards serious competition in one form or another. Just looking to have some fun and learn some stuff, really.

CrossFit Southwest in Tempe seems like a decent facility. I haven't stopped by personally, but I've recommended it to a few people who've asked for help getting started, based on what I've read about their place and trainers. There's also one in Phoenix which I believe is more of a garage gym. You can't go wrong with an affiliate, period, so I say take your pick, or try them all!

As for the rest of the "Phoenix posts," there was a post in "Find a CrossFitter" for Phoenix folks some time ago. I think it'd be awesome to brave the 110+ degrees and do something in a park somewhere with as many people as we can muster. I'm trying to get a few of my Marine Corps poolees to drink the kool-aid with me and get in on it too. So far the only person I've ever CF'd with has been my brother, at home.

If it's any incentive, I could bring a Concept 2 Model D, a GHD and some rings to the party

Planning on hitting a 24 Hour Fitness *gasp* on 32nd and Camelback tomorrow evening some time with the girlfriend, and maybe crank out a Cindy or Fran... have taken about a week off, so should be interesting.

Yeah, anyways... sorry to get off topic about your Tabata question.
Remember, improvement comes from having just enough stress applied to the body for it to adapt, and improve. How much is too much is highly dependent on many many factors, including, sleep, nutrition, genetics, stress levels, training intensity, training frequency, training volume.

I would highly recommend reading this article from T-Mag (Yeah yeah I know, but it's a great article). http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=909183

It will really clarify how you can do alot of work, without over training, IF, you manage it properly. The trick to not over training, is to not over tax anyone system too much (anaerobic, glycolytic,aerobic,power,strength, endurance) etc.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Also, for any of you Phoenix area guys, who don't have the time, or simply don't wish to pay the fees for CF-in Tempe, but still want a CY style workout, or a place to do CF, feel free to contact me. I'm a strength coach at Mesa Community College which is off of Dobson and Southern. Feel free to message me if you're interested.