CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #21
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Re: Rippetoe Squatting

Yeah, Rip is big on Tower of Power, Chicago, The Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule; pretty much all of the bands that were big when he was growing up/a teen. Hell, I'm into all of those bands for that matter, and I was born in 85.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #22
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Yeah, I saw that and looked up some projected one rep max's based on that. Wooee, that's a load.
I've always wondered where those projections come from. It seems they are speculation at best. I've squatted 285x20 nearly ATG, but max singled at 345. I've deadlifted 405x9 but maxed at 500. Goofy huh?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #23
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I really think those calculators start breaking down when you enter past 10 or 15 reps as you get into endurance.

It's one thing to do 20 squats with mid to high 200s. It's a whole nother craptastic event to stand with 350 pounds on your shoulders.

Last time I squatted heavy, I think when I still in warmup and doing 225x10 or 15...and then put on 265, 275, 285...something like that and stood with it after clearing the pin holders I knew I was getting into bad juju area. It had been too long with weight that heavy so I ended up playing around with walking with the weight and standing with it to get used to it.

Actually 405x9 makes sense since most calculators would max you higher.

285x20 would probably calculate high 300s. I was generally around 225x20 when maxing 315 or so.

That's the thing about squats to deadlifts. It's one thing pulling that weight or just failing. It's another thing standing with that much weight. You really start to feel it from all over.

There are a gazillion calculators if you search google with weighlifting max calculator. Recently there was a thread and I recieved the CF calculator that all sorts of lifts in it. However, I'm having problems getting it to work since I'm not sure if Open Office likes it and I need to install Office.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #24
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I think with the squat in particular, those calculators are off. I would say this is due to the body having to support such a large amount of weight. All my numbers are fairly close to the estimates, except for the squat. 400 lbs on your back can make for a really crappy day
Old 06-13-2008, 03:51 AM   #25
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

I remember reading an interview with Dr. Ken Leistner after he posted a video of himself squatting 407x23. He said his 1 rep max probably wasn't much higher than that.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #26
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
It's one thing to do 20 squats with mid to high 200s. It's a whole nother craptastic event to stand with 350 pounds on your shoulders...............................

...................I was generally around 225x20 when maxing 315 or so.
I feel the exact same way. I had the same repping ability and max you just stated. If you want to get a big squat, you have to squat big weights.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #27
Paul McKirdy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
It uses the posterior chain heavily, yet also uses the quads. Rip advocates getting strong, not necessarily lifting more weight, and this squat uses more muscles than the powerlifting style, having some forward knee movement for the quads, yet more hamstring and adductor involvement than the narrow, ATG olympic style.
Perfectly put! I would only add that once you do this in O-Lifting shoes you will wonder how you ever increased in strength, ever, prior to executing this movement with the proper equipment.

The very first proper strength-building squat I performed in my Iron Works IIs felt the first time I ever felt my posterior chain and quads every work together in concert . Initially had drop some weight but then the day after my legs and back felt stronger than ever with no knee issues at all. Good stuff man good stuff. Im just babbling now

Put the book up next to the screen the man has almost perfect form during this set to my eyes. Particularly in the hole. I could only do 7 of these the other night and thought I was about to die
Old 06-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #28
Stefan Borovina

Profile:

Just throwing in a late comment that a barbell cert in NYC would be awesome.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #29
Sean Schade

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
I truly wish that they would do a barbell cert in NYC; there is little doubt that Rip would be able to sell day after day out here, not to mention the people that could and would travel from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Upstate New York, other place to attend.

No east coast love from Crossfit.
There's a Boston event I believe. Just jump on Amtrak and you'll be here in no time.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #30
Justin Algera

Profile:

Going to the Boston Barbell Cert in September and the P-Menu O-lifting seminar in Boston in August as well... Problem right now with CFNYC is that our space isn't large enough right now to have a cert. But that will be changing and there are supposed plans to start getting some certs in NYC. We also have another site for CFNYC in Williamsburg (Black Box: Brooklyn) that is going to begin beginners classes on Sunday. Free all month of June. So hopefully with these changes, there will be certs in NYC in the future.