CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Rippetoe Squatting

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if it hasn't, I thought a few might enjoy it:

Mark Rippetoe Squatting

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...uats315x10.wmv

I imagine he's incredulous at the attention that a 52 year old man squatting could, and is, garnering on the internet; for me, it's good to see the man whose coaching I happen to follow and look up to working damn hard in the gym, with no ACL and injuries galore. As he's said before, the man just doesn't know how NOT to train.

A note on form; a ton of people on other websites have been talking about "his form being off;" he's lifting hard, heavy, and with relatively good form. Maybe those commenting should do the same and worry less about how others lift. Show me a limit set done with perfect form, and I'll show you a bull****ter.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Rippetoe Squatting

Yeah, I saw that and looked up some projected one rep max's based on that. Wooee, that's a load.

Is this what a powerlifter squat is like? I tried to look up some of the differences last night between a BB, Oly BS, and PL BS and couldn't find too many visual samples.

I will be happy when I can do the same cause I'm like a mini version of him, err used to be. I'm short squatty and dressing clothes just makes me look bulky. Pants and shirts don't slim me down and I like the ape in Roger Rabbit in a Tux or suit. It's pretty ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Rip describes the squat he teaches as an athletic squat; it's low bar placement, but the stance is in between a powerlifter's and the narrow olympic style. It uses the posterior chain heavily, yet also uses the quads. Rip advocates getting strong, not necessarily lifting more weight, and this squat uses more muscles than the powerlifting style, having some forward knee movement for the quads, yet more hamstring and adductor involvement than the narrow, ATG olympic style. Rip goes into detail as to why most O-lifters would benefit from this style of back squat over the high bar ATG style, especially considering the similarities between that squat and the front squat.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

You may also want to read Greg Everett's rebuttal of that argument on Performance Menu.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Steven Quadros

Profile:

I would love to, but I couldn't find it. Was it in a pay article? If not, could you provide a link? If so, could you paraphrase?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I get you know. Doing this squat is mainly to focus on the posterior chain to get big and lift heavy. If you're doing an Oly BS, his point would then be to why not just front squat and use the back squat as a more compound exercise.

Still clueless on the PL or BB style, but I'm satisfied with either an Oly squat or a more inclined back squat to hit that posterior. I know quite often my max BS in the day would have that back angle and it would hurt like a mofo and feel good like a...well let's keep it family safe.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Pay article.

http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/i...roducts_id=139 wfs

I haven't purchased the article either, but I've talked to Aimee Anaya regarding this. If you look at the olympic lifts, you have two basic positions - the clean or snatch pulling position and the front/overhead squat. A squat with a mostly upright torso is by no means similar to the low-bar back squat. As for the pulls, you begin those with a more upright torso than in the deadlift (this is another point of contention between Rip and O-lifters) and deadlifts can be used to strengthen the pull off the floor anyways.

Obviously, Greg's article will have a lot more detail.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Meh, I don't O lift enough to buy the article, though I will address the points you've made.

Quote:
If you look at the olympic lifts, you have two basic positions - the clean or snatch pulling position and the front/overhead squat. A squat with a mostly upright torso is by no means similar to the low-bar back squat. As for the pulls, you begin those with a more upright torso than in the deadlift (this is another point of contention between Rip and O-lifters) and deadlifts can be used to strengthen the pull off the floor anyways.
The point is that the low bar squat is not similar to the upright torso in the high bar or front squat. The low bar squat would be used because it allows one to use more muscle during the lift, creating a stronger lifter. Specificity may be the name of the game, but considering Louie Simmons and Rip have both said American O lifters lack raw strength, it seems that a lift like the athletic back squat would be of benefit. Why high bar back squat when it so closely resembles a front squat in torso position?

Perhaps you're saying that the lift simply isn't worth incorporating when lifters have the deadlift, clean and jerk, and snatch, as well as all their variants to work on. That might be a more acceptable argument, though, considering how strong that low bar squat can make one in the posterior chain, which aids in hip extension, and the range of motion in which one must work with it, which is much greater than the deadlift, I don't necessarily think that that is the case. I am, however, not an olympic lifter, nor do I claim to know more than Greg Everett.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I'd argue this further, but I'd be speculating and I don't want to do that when there's a five-page article explaining this already. I'll just take the $2.50 hit and purchase it.

I'll get back to you on this once I understand the matter better myself.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
Gant Grimes

Profile:

That was good, normal squatting form. That's what a heavy set of 10 should look like, especially for someone who usually keeps his rep count low. That's how he trains, music and all, and it's damn good.

PS Both of the articles are good, and you should read both of them.