CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Squat stands and potential spotting stands

Hey all, just ordered a Pendlay economy HD bar from Glenn Pendlay, as well as 230 lbs of bumper plates. Next on the list would be some squat stands, and these fit the bill, being both portable, space saving, and cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympic-Standard...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, I'm potentially thinking about getting these safety stands, though the fact that they are only 16 inches across seems like it might be an issue; the last thing I want to worry about when attempting a max effort squat is aiming it onto something that might be too narrow. Does anyone have experience using these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPOTTER-SAFETY-S...742.m153.l1262

Using saw horses might also be a possible solution, though these have raised ends so the bar rolling off wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
Mark Sands

Profile:
Re: Squat stands and potential spotting stands

i use the same stands. they seem to do fine for me. no idea about the safety stands though. i do agree trying to find a target during a failed squat may suck.....i've been using saw horses and feel they work pretty well.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Steven,

You might read this thread on saw horses (WFS):

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ght=saw+horses

I don't like the narrow profile of these safety devices. I suspect that depending on mode of failure, you could easily end up outside the "safety zone" of these with a heavy bar on your back.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Steven Quadros

Profile:

It seems sawhorses are not only cheap, but also much safer than those smaller stands.

Anyone have experience with using something to prevent the bar from rolling off the sawhorse?

I was already thinking that a nice sized piece of wood would be necessary to cover the top of the saw horse to prevent the metal from digging into the bar knurling, and I suppose one could add a little piece of wood on either side to prevent the bar from rolling off completely.

Any more oppinions on the squat stands or ideas on sawhorses?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Derek Franks

Profile:

I would pony up the cash for a set of Pillars of Power from Ironmind. Yes, they're expensive. But at the end of the day if your sawhorses collapse on you miss the 16" cheap stands, the bill from the hospital is going to be quite a bit more than the cost of buying the best stands in the first place. It doesn't take much to really mess up your back, knees, etc.

It seems reasonable to me to spend $1k on good equipment and not worry about potentially spending $10k on medical bills and not being able to train for 6 months. Can you get by with sawhorses and 2x4's in concrete? Some people definitely do. But the potential risk just doesn't seem worth the cost savings to me.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Unfortunately, while you're correct Derek, not having the money to spend shouldn't be confused with no wanting to spend the money. Believe me, as a fitness junky, I want the pillars of power and vulcan racks; as a relatively poor man, however, I want to be able to eat and go out with my girlfriend a bit as well.

I went ahead and ordered the stands, and, for now, that completes the purchasing spree I've gone on. I have a pretty complete set up for me now, which includes:

1. The ebay squat and press stands
2. Pendlay HD powerlifting bar
3. 230 lbs in bumpers (going to be getting at least another hundred in iron)
4. Rings
5. 90 lb sandbag (cheapest thing on the list at less than $20)
6. 1 pood kettlebell
7. standard bar and some weight, plus two adjustable dumbells
Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Casey Williams

Profile:

I have some saw horses i bought at home depot. They work really good. The ones i have are metal and say they have like a 1000lb rate or something. Also as far as the bar rolling on the top....just put a towel or something similiar on top the bar will not roll then.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Right on man, that sounds like nice toys. My friend found his squat cage and weights for super cheapo on CL. His wife enjoys laughing at his cursing during Fran. He was just telling me about it as we are trying to sucker another in our workout group towards more sado-masochistic tendencies ala CF.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Thanks Blair; oddly enough, I don't, and have never crossfitted. I enjoy taking ideas from them, and using crossfit as exposure to a number of different things I would not have otherwise known about, but I don't personally do it. Funny though, as I use ideas from CF to design workouts for my clients, who tend to love the running around, heart rate increasing workout that HIIT comes with. All of my clients are, at this point, on a black box type routine that involves lifting heavy weights often, and also interval training often.

As for my little gym set up, I'm very excited, though slightly annoyed that I probably won't be able to do my standing press in the basement due to ceiling height constrictions. On the bright side, since I don't press all that much, I'll just have to walk the barbell and some weight upstairs and do it in the living room. It's okay, everyone already thinks I'm strange.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Steven
You're using bumpers. You don't need spotter bars.

This is not to say you can't use them if you want, but they are by no means necessary. The money could be better spent on a jumprope, slamball, jump box, etc.