CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Sean Kane

Profile:
Crossfit Makes Me Weak?

After attempting todays CrossFit Total, it seems I keep getting weaker instead of stronger. I failed today on what were warmup sets when doing SS on squats and standing press, and didn't even have the heart to attempt deadlifts. I don't know if it is the program, or if I am doing something wrong, but I don't like where my lifts are going. My fitness and metcon is improving in leaps and bounds, but something is going terribly wrong with my max effort performance. I could blame today on the fact that I had only had 1 meal (though it was a good Zone 4 block) and became hungry during my first warmup, but this seems to be a trend and not an exception. The only other thing I can possibly think of is that when doing SS I was eating about 2500 calories in a 50/30/20 split rather than 1600-1800 in the Zone. Though according to Sears calculations I am a 16 blocker and following the block chart those are the numbers I come up with. Here is a link to my Fitday if you think it is diet related, bear in mind I am trying to drop the last few lbs of flab:

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 06-01-2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 05-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Makes Me Weak?

There's tons of threads about this and I'm sure someone will answer this more scientificaly than I can, but crossfit isn't meant to make you strong really. It's meant to make you fit. If you were running purely SS, or any strength program, and then you switched to heavy metcon and less strength work it only makes sense that your lifts would suffer right?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Tommi Katila

Profile:

What`s your training background like?

Ive done five months of CF,before that many years of power/olylifting.Last year I did zero ME workouts,(knee problem). Today my best deadlift was tied with my four year old deadlift PR.And all these five months Ive been thinking how much strength will I lose..

So I guess it depends of your background too,how much strength will you lose..Someone who has done lots of strength work before will not lose as much as someone who just did their first SS-routine.It takes some time,to build a steady foundation.And offcourse,heavy dieting will affect too.

But I dont think CF makes anyone weak.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Are you eating enough?

I can't imagine only eating 1600-1800 calories a day.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I'd suggest doing more of a MEBB approach personally. I think CF is awesome, but for some people, there may be too much metcon and not enough heavy lifting. I think the MEBB approach, or the CA WOD blends the two very well.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

1. What are your lifting numbers, height, weight?

2. If you're more than 120 lbs you probably need more than 1600-1800 calories. How long ago did you switch off SS diet to Zone?

3. CF will increase your strength UNLESS you have elite numbers. I do not assume this is the case, however, since you just came off a Starting Strength cycle. How long ago did you switch from SS to CF workouts?

Fairly easy problem to fix and I would most likely say that it's because you're not eating enough to support your mass. Since your body is in a caloric excess and then you switch over to basically a caloric deficit, you're going to start losing some fat but also muscle as well.

In conjunction with this, much of the strength you gained is going to be because of neural mechanisms. Once you start progressing away from that especially if they haven't been solidified in your body from doing strength work after SS (which means they are more along the lines specific to the movement like GTG), you're going to have some residual strength loss from switching directly to a more metcon/endurance based model. For example, if you checked out your max front squat compared to your back squat at the moment, I think you'd see a fairly "large" disparity namely because you're used to one and not the other.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Corey Barker

Profile:

What is MEBB?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Barker View Post
What is MEBB?
Max effort black box.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Douglas Smith

Profile:

I've been cfin for bout 7 weeks now and thought I was losing wicked strength. However jumped on the bench 2 days ago and hit 315# which I haven't done in prob.8 months. So far I have lost bout 10 lbs., almost 2 inches off my waist, and have gained some strength. This is the best I have looked in a long time. Also I was in pretty good shape b4 I started cf. In the Army so had been doin some kind of PT everyday for a long time now.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Oliver Gould

Profile:

You're not eating enough dude. You're making the same mistake I made when I tried to lean out the first time. You have the same symptoms (stubborn body fat, declining max lifts). Eat more, eat more, eat more.