CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Justin Rovtar

Profile:
How Profitable can CF facility be?

I am looking to start CF classes in my area. I do not currently have a facility and do most of my training outdoors.

Can anyone give me a little insight as to how profitable running a CF business can be?

How many people do you have at your facility?

How long did it take to break even?

I love CF and my niche will be Military/Law Enforcement/Fire Safety/Fighters. I would obviously allow anyone to join.

Thanks in advance.

JR
Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: How Profitable can CF facility be?

How much money you make is entirely dependent upon how much you charge, how many clients you take, how many classes you run, and what your expenses are. Greg Glassman has listed a six figure salary as possible.

There have been threads about this, so do a search. Send out some e-mails to well-known affiliates - don't be surprised if what's a huge gym now started out at grass roots as well.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Making lots of money=Passion for what your doing and loving what you do
Old 05-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Justin Rovtar

Profile:

Thanks for the replies.

I am already a successful fitness instructor in the same type of training as Crossfit. I run all of my training outdoors using parks, beaches, etc.. I would like to own a facility to use for crossfit and my private training but have never done anything like it before.

Fitness is my passion and Crossfit represents my personal training ideaology.

Justin R
Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Justin, it sounds like you've got more info to answer your question than anyone else can possibly help you with. (At first, reading your question, one might imagine a person who is considering crossfit training purely as a profit opp: Gee, which will make more money for me, opening up an HVAC repair business, or a CF training gym?) It's good to see that's not the case!

As an experienced trainer with clientele and a love of training... your next step is just to add up your monthly costs; and figure out how you need to change prices and how many clients you need to add, to have your revenues exceed your costs.

Look at the different affiliate sites, all of which are listed on the main CrossFit.com page, and you'll see the prices they charge for training and classes, and hopefully different levels of membership prices.

There IS a lot of guesswork involved, but your goal is to project how many members you can have and how much income.

What is much easier to figure out are your expected costs -- rent, insurance, utilities, operational costs. Most people tend to underestimate how quickly the small costs add up quickly.

My impression from reading and listening to discussions among affiliates -- and from some background in business analysis / consulting / entrepreneurship -- is that most people ask these questions ("how much can I earn? how much will it cost?"), come up with vaguely hopeful answers, and end up taking a leap of faith. They also are not reporting any hard numbers of how it's working out for them; we can't expect to hear from the people whose affiliates go under, and we DO hear great success stories. You'll find plenty of affiliates who are quite successful.

From where you're at now, having a facility would represent a huge leap forward in terms of your own productivity, ability to train more clients, develop training sessions into group classes, and charge higher rates. I think you should start figuring out exactly what you need in your facility and speaking to friends and real estate brokers in your area to see what type of box might be available and how much it's going to cost you. Thousand Oaks, I think you're looking at $1.25 + a square foot, but that's a wild-*** guess so get out there and find a real number.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Jason Tanner

Profile:

You can do what I'm doing. Work out of a park till you have so many clients that it's almost necessary to get a facility. It's a safer way of starting out simply because you don't have to fret over being able to pay for the rent and whatever else costs come from renting a place out.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Larry A Henrikson

Profile:

Consider private lessons for the rich. My Krav Maga teacher had several private lessons throughout the day and charged almost $75-$100 an hour. If you can extend a typical 20 minute crossfit to 60 minutes with extra warmup and stretching, there ya go.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Justin Rovtar

Profile:

Jason,

Can you help me answer a few questions regarding your outdoor program?

1) How many people do you typically train at one time?
2) What type of equipment to you bring and how much of each do you need?

I already have the following inventory in my garage gym, some can be transported, some not:
- 2 sets of rings
- Medicine Balls: 2x6lb, 5x8lb, 1x12lb
- Speed Ladder
- Kettlebells: 2x8kg, 2x12lb, 2x16kg, 2x20kg, 2x24kg, 2x32kg, 2x40kg, 2x44kg, 1x48kg
- Dumbbells: 2 each starting at 5lbs and up to 70lb in increments of 5
- 5x18" boxes, 2x8" boxes
- 1 olympic bar with 300lb of plates
- 2 heavy bags
- 1 tractor tire - 250 lbs
- 2 hammers - 1x8lb, 1x16lb
- 1x150' rope
- 1x50' rope
- 1x Dragging Sled
- 1 freestanding self made pull-up bar
- 1 freestanding Self made dip bar
- 1x 127lb sandbag, 1x 50lb sandbag, 1x 40lb sandbag, 1x 20lb sandbag
- 15 jump ropes

the issue with my garage gym is that we have a homeowners association that will not like group training. I live in a gated townhouse complex.

Thanks to everyone for giving me assistance.

JR
Old 05-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Sorry it took so long Justin, I just saw you posted a question. Right now I haven't started classes yet but I do have a plan. I'll probably end up training 10 people during a session at max. Of course in the beginning you would build up with one person just because reaching that many people at the very beginning can be stressful. Right now my plan is to bring rings, sandbags, and medicine balls. As for the specific weight of the equipment, by the time we start group classes (there is a foundation course before I allow any of my clients to join group classes) I should have a good understanding of how much they can do with what. So I would bring adjustable weights for all equipment for the clients and be able to work from there. Is your sandbags adjustable in weight? Also, equipment overall looks good. You can become very creative with very few items. Remember to get PVC piping for the beginner's in learning the lifts. Have you thought of training at a local park? Usually they have a lot of pull up bars there, as well as some other random obstacles used for training. Any other questions please don't hesitate to email me at jason@crossfitnorcross.com.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Stephen Smith

Profile:

One other thing you should do (and maybe you already have) is a search of the area to see if there are already any CF affiliates.