CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-08-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
John Ponzetti

Profile:
In doing CrossFit, will my 1RM go up. I see we do heavy deadlifts, and squats.They are not in the WOD very often. So will the other WOD have a carry over to 1RM? What about benching??
Old 03-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Mark Permelia

Profile:
Crossfit is not a powerlifting program. It does contain aspects of powerlifting along with aspects of all other sorts of fitness programs.

Having said that, yes your 1RM will probably go up unless you are highly specialized in powerlifting.

There are occasional WoD's that incorporate benching but not to many. My opinion is because benching is not very functional. However, you will see alot of dips and muscle-ups which are alot more functional and work the chest as well or better than benching.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
John,

The answer is that it depends. If you were a PL'er or strongman and you follow the WOD as prescribed then yes your maximal strength will dip a little. If you weren't then you will most likely see your numbers go up.

If you were a PL'er/strength athelet and you want to do crossfit also. there are plenty of ways to program more lifting days into your workout. Use the search and read. Look for ME, OLAD, strength. There was a recent thread that addressed this area pretty well. I think it was titled "WOD + BB"

Old 03-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
John Messano

Profile:
"In doing CrossFit, will my 1RM go up?"

a simple answer: Yes!

see Testimonials.

I've seen increases in my deadlift, cleans, squats, presses, pullups, dips, sit-ups and handstand pushups. oh, and my 5k, 1/2m, 1/4m runs. power, speed, endurance... all are increasing. I'm not a CF monster, but I'm certain that the program is balanced and highly effective.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Jason Billows

Profile:
Not only will your 1RM go up, you'll be able to run a mile up hill before the lift and still pull it off.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
John Ponzetti

Profile:
I am by no means a power lifter. But I like to see those poundages go up. The other day when we did "Fran", that killed me. I need those weights and reps to improve too! Thanks for all the posts
Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Martin Schap

Profile:
My only 1RM that has gone down is my bench. I expect this to be resolved soon since I started benching heavy again as part of my second workout on the day 3s. You will see this over and over again, but you can add any training you want to the WODs, or modify them to suit your needs, as in the case of people like me who like to add a little extra running now and again or the guys who pursue pretty serious PLing and combat sport training in addition to Crossfit.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:21 AM   #8
Petr Ruzicka

Profile:
I do CF for about two months and all my lift are much better, some becasuse of wel structured program (my knees feel much better, I do have better squat technique than before etc.)
Old 03-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
If you have a lot of specialized type of strength such as a STRONG powerlifter you will likely lose some strength in your specialized lifts. If you only do Crossfit

You will likely gain strength everywhere else. The payoff for I would guess 95% of the people who Crossfit and stick with it are increases across the board
Old 03-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #10
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

If you don't know enough about your own training history to be able to answer for yourself, crossfit will improve 1rm