CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
David Miller

Profile:
Pay Scale for Affiliates

In talks with financier for our affiliate and he's asking me all these questions that I don't have answers for.......wondering if you guys can help me out with a couple.........

-How are CF trainers paid....per workout? per month? how much?

-About how much do you charge clients per month? He wants to charge $120... I think that's too high

-What does the monthly charge include besides WOD's? Open gym time to work on form? Rowing for extra cardio? Etc., etc.

I guess I'll post more questions as they come up or as I think of them

As always, thanks in advance for all of your input

-David
Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: Pay Scale for Affiliates

David, as for the client fee I cna tell you that $120/mo is the low end of what I've seen in my area. That's discounted pol/mil monthly unlimited rate at a lot of places. At first I thought that the fees were pretty exhorbitant, but after thinking and talking about it, I think it's commensurate with the services provided.

Globos typically start around $40/mo around here, and can match CF affiliate prices at their high end. The thing is, CF affiliates provide a highly specific service and well trained personnel. I put CF memberships in the same category as martial arts instruction, gymastics classes and maybe music lessons.

At least that's the way I'm rolling it out for my wife. So far it hasn't won her over and she keeps pointing to the basement and telling me to make my own gym. Ah well.

FWIW, I think the prices are pretty reasonable.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

David,

What you charge members has alot to do with the demographics of your area (medium household income, cost of living, and what the market is willing to pay) as well as what the industry (CF) standard is. Our prices are a little lower than most affiliates. Even tough CT can be considered affluent, my area particularly is not.

I've been trying to think how I will pay trainers when I bring them on. First, everyone will be an indy contractor. I'm not dealing with "employees" (benefits, taxes, etc.) Alot wil depend on what they came offer my organization, their credentials, experience, character, goals, etc.

For their monthly fee, my memebers can come do strictly CF, or do some kind of Black Box program where they mix in CF. They can also just come work on skill practice on their rest days. So, yeah, basically its sort of an open gym format. When I expand, things may change.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Steve Reggio

Profile:

I pay my trainer per class. If we both teach class it is $X, if she teaches the class alone I pay a higher rate. That seems to work for me. If she brings in one on one clients she handles the payment issues and I charge a rental fee for the space.

My rates are pretty low compared to other DC area affiliates, two factors are that my clientele is a little different than in other areas (More Soccer Mom than 20/Early 30 somethings) and my rent per sq ft is much cheaper.

Hope this helps. I have been open just over 2 months so it is new and I am in a constant state of evolution in how I do things.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
David Miller

Profile:

I think that as we begin our CF program it looks like I'm going to be the only certified CF trainer.....but the facility also does 1 on 1 training and those trainers are going to be working with me.......one of the questions I have is this: I'm a firefighter first and foremost.....they want me to head up the CF program....I'm wondering if I'm going to have enough time to lead the program and do a thorough job like I want to.....are any of you leading a CrossFit affiliate as a second job?

I should also point out that I work 24 on 48 off, so I do have a pretty good deal of time to put into CF training