CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Seth Utter

Profile:
Looking for a crossfit gym in CT

Recently started doing crossfit but am finding that my gym lacks some of the more specialized equipment (rings, kettleballs, etc). Looking for a nearby crossfit gym.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Eric Gagnon

Profile:
Re: Looking for a crossfit gym in CT

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/ - then click on your state.

link is safe
Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Hi Seth,

The closest affiliate to you should be CF Central CT. You can grab their website off the affiliate blog and then your best bet is to grab Tom Taylor's number from his blog and talk with him. He's a great guy and will help you all he can.

We're a bit farther away in Watertown, but we are close to the highway in Waterbury, so we do have several members who jump off on their way home to other points.

Good luck and if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Oh -- and if you want to check out a CF challenge in action, we're hosting the Trevor Win'E Memorial Day Challenge at our place -- both the CF Central CT teams and the CF Power Barn teams (from Cheshire) will be here. It promises to be a great time!

Lis
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Tom Vickers

Profile:

I'm in the same boat. I live in New Hartford and work in Hartford. I've been doing CF at the Downtown Hartford YMCA for about 6 months, but there are definitely limitations. I've slowly been acquiring equipment to use in my garage, but I work out with a couple of other guys and I really don't want to lose the group, so I put up with the Y.

I am actually going for my Level 1 Certification at the beginning of June and I am going to the Basic Barbell Certification in September. I've been trying to put some wheels in motion to open an affiliate later this year, but there are a lot of pieces that would need to fall into place before that could happen. If/when I do get something going, it would most likely be either in the Farmington valley or East Hartford/Glastonbury area.

Lisbeth, do you have any more details on the Memorial Day event? I saw some info on the CF Central CT site, but I was curious about whether or not I would need to find 3 other people to make up a team of 4 and what the donation/fee for the event was. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

Ah, a fellow New Hartford-er. Not too often you see one of those around (considering our town's only about 6500 people!). An affiliate closer to us would be fantastic, you have my support if you ever open up!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vickers View Post
Lisbeth, do you have any more details on the Memorial Day event? I saw some info on the CF Central CT site, but I was curious about whether or not I would need to find 3 other people to make up a team of 4 and what the donation/fee for the event was. Thanks.
Hi Tom,

The team fee is $200, as set by the CF Orange County folks this year: it pays for the cost of purchasing and shipping one cooling vest to the troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. (Or $50 for each team member, which is not so bad if you get 5 friends to support your effort at $10 each.)

If you don't have 3 other folks, I can put you on the list here and see if we get 3 more over the next 12 days: odds are that we will.

Start is at 8am, so that means a short general meeting around 0730 for paperwork, rules, and a warm-up. We have about 6 teams right now and we have pull-up stations to start 4 teams in each heat.

If you (or anybody else in CT!) have any more questions, feel free to call me at the number listed on our website -- where, you can also find the map to our location -- it's not far from Rtes 8 and 84.

Lis
Old 05-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Tom Vickers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kimmerle View Post
Ah, a fellow New Hartford-er. Not too often you see one of those around (considering our town's only about 6500 people!). An affiliate closer to us would be fantastic, you have my support if you ever open up!
Thanks, Ben. You're the only other NH CFer that I know of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
Hi Tom,

The team fee is $200, as set by the CF Orange County folks this year: it pays for the cost of purchasing and shipping one cooling vest to the troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. (Or $50 for each team member, which is not so bad if you get 5 friends to support your effort at $10 each.)

If you don't have 3 other folks, I can put you on the list here and see if we get 3 more over the next 12 days: odds are that we will.

Start is at 8am, so that means a short general meeting around 0730 for paperwork, rules, and a warm-up. We have about 6 teams right now and we have pull-up stations to start 4 teams in each heat.

If you (or anybody else in CT!) have any more questions, feel free to call me at the number listed on our website -- where, you can also find the map to our location -- it's not far from Rtes 8 and 84.

Lis
Thanks, Lis. I am going to check with the guys that I work out with to see if they would be interested and available. I'll give you a call if I can get some people together.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Tom Taylor

Profile:

Lis,

Once again thanks for the mention. Oh and by the bye my minions and I are looking forward to Memorial Day.

Quote:
Seth Utter
Looking for a crossfit gym in CT
Recently started doing crossfit but am finding that my gym lacks some of the more specialized equipment (rings, kettleballs, etc). Looking for a nearby crossfit gym.
Seth,

We are located in New Britain right off Route 9. We have all the equipment you mentioned and a great crew. Give me a call and we can talk about what you are looking for and how we can help.

Quote:
Tom Vickers
I'm in the same boat. I live in New Hartford and work in Hartford. I've been doing CF at the Downtown Hartford YMCA for about 6 months, but there are definitely limitations. I've slowly been acquiring equipment to use in my garage, but I work out with a couple of other guys and I really don't want to lose the group, so I put up with the Y.

I am actually going for my Level 1 Certification at the beginning of June and I am going to the Basic Barbell Certification in September. I've been trying to put some wheels in motion to open an affiliate later this year, but there are a lot of pieces that would need to fall into place before that could happen. If/when I do get something going, it would most likely be either in the Farmington valley or East Hartford/Glastonbury area.

Tom,

We will be starting classes in Manchester Tuesday June 3rd if that helps or like I said our New Britain location is right off the highway. I live in Hartford and it doesn't take long to get to either place.

Regarding Memorial Day:
1. No you don't need a complete team we can partner you up with some of our members.
2. The entry fee is $200 per 4 person team.

We lived in Pleasant Valley/New Hartford not that long ago I would be happy to come up and train with you guys sometime.

Any questions just give me a call my contact information is on my site.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Tom Taylor

Profile:

Sorry for any redundant information I TYPE R...E...A...L SLOW!
Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Tom Vickers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Taylor View Post
Tom,

We will be starting classes in Manchester Tuesday June 3rd if that helps or like I said our New Britain location is right off the highway. I live in Hartford and it doesn't take long to get to either place.

Regarding Memorial Day:
1. No you don't need a complete team we can partner you up with some of our members.
2. The entry fee is $200 per 4 person team.

We lived in Pleasant Valley/New Hartford not that long ago I would be happy to come up and train with you guys sometime.

Any questions just give me a call my contact information is on my site.
Hi, Tom. Thanks for the info. Are you opening an affiliate in Manchester? That might be convenient enough for me to drop in every once in a while depending on when you would be open. My biggest problem right now is lack of equipment. I've basically been training two other guys at the Downtown Y for the last 6 months, but it's pretty much a standard globo-gym, so the lack of bumpers, rings, etc has been limiting. Like I said, I've been slowly picking up some equipment for the garage, but I don't get the same push when I work out by myself and I live too far out in the sticks for the guys to come to me. I'm going to be training for the 'How Fit Are You Challenge' over the next 6 months, so access to bumpers would be very beneficial.