CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Ryan Green

Profile:
Best Fat Loss/Weight Loss Program

So I've been doing CF for almost a month (after switching from a split weightlifitng routine) and I definitly plan to incorporate CrossFit into my lifestyle long-term, but my short-term goal is fat loss. I'm as strong as I want to be, but I'm about 35 lbs overweight and it's definitely hindering my CF performance. My question is, what is the best exercise program to burn fat? HIIT? I've made dietary changes (no processed food, no sugar, minimal carbs, basically my diet consists of vegetables, meat, some fruit and legumes in moderate portions) and I'd rather focus solely on fat loss for the next few months and then switch back to CrossFit, instead of sticking with CF.

What do you guys/girls recommend?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Best Fat Loss/Weight Loss Program

CrossFit with a solid diet and all your fat will fly off in no time.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

I am a dedicated X-fitter, but I don't think that the fat loss comes as fast as a program designed specifically for fat loss. (however with that program, your not going to touch the power and stamina gained from CrossFit- its a trade off).

But I would say around the end of my first year crossfitting, I really started to notice the results. 2 years later- I am a lean mean machine!! So don't get frustrated- I say stick with the CrossFit. Maybe throw in a run or row session every now and then- you can gear your crossfitting efforts towards more fat-loss
Old 05-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
CrossFit with a solid diet and all your fat will fly off in no time.
Fair enough, but on an intuitive level it doesn't seem like doing 5 single max effort presses is a fat loss exercise. As far as I know, the goal of CF isn't fat loss. My question is, if that's one's only goal, is there a better workout program?

Also, Alex, thanks for the well thought of reply. I guess my frustration comes from knowing that if I lost 30 lbs, I'd be able to do 21 pullups, instead of 5. But I like your suggestion, maybe I'll stick to the metcon WODS, and then on max effort days do HIIT rowing.

Last edited by Ryan Green : 05-08-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Hey, me from a couple months ago. You know what I learned? The exercise program matters little until you get your diet straight. And I mean strict--Zone proportions with Paleo foods. Not just cutting down sugars. Go with Zone proportions and Paleo foods. That will take the weight off fastest. Until you have dialed in your diet, everything else is just gravy.

I know this, because I am in your exact situation and tried messing with the program. I replaced heavy lifting days with HIIT, but was half-assed about my diet. You know what happened? Well, check out my signature--I am still not lean, and my body fat percentage did not change a whit. I wanted the workout program to be the solution, because I love working out but am pretty terrible at regulating my eating for extended periods of time.

So as someone who is slowly, slowly getting her diet in gear and seeing positive results as I do so, I'm saying, the quickest way to lose weight is to go Paleo/Zone. If you find that you are somehow still not losing weight, then come back to the boards.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Ryan Green

Profile:

Thanks Emily. I don't think the Zone is the only diet that leads to fat loss. Eating moderate portions of healthy, whole foods is as complicated as my diet needs to be, and I've made that dietary alteration. I appreciate the input though, and since we're in the same boat, good luck!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Brock Jones

Profile:

You're in the same place I was when I started. I started off about 35 pounds overweight. I did CF plus a 'moderate' diet for a couple months. My performance got better, but there wasn't a lot of weight coming off. When I switched to strict zone (not even paleo) - the weight flew off. I went from 175lbs to 140lbs in right around 3 months.

In my experience, losing fat is 90-95% diet. You would lose more weight sitting on the couch all day but eating strict zone than you would working out all day and eating a 'moderate' diet.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Emily when she asked this question several weeks ago and ignored it.

IT'S YOUR F'ING DIET. IT'S NOT YOUR F'ING PROGRAM!

No, it's not the only way, but it's been proven time and again. Since I don't know you, your exercise history, or your nutritional habits, I can do no better than to commend this program to you. Zone portions. Paleo foods. CrossFit WOD. Don't substitute. Don't deviate. Don't add to the program.

Train and eat for function, and form will follow. I promise you. I can't make it any clearer.

Last edited by David Wood : 05-08-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Ryan Green

Profile:

Ok, since I can't edit my original post, please consider me no longer in search of advice on this subject, in this thread.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Green View Post
Ok, since I can't edit my original post, please consider me no longer in search of advice on this subject, in this thread.

Wise move