CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Josh Marcum

Profile:
running with Spondylolisthesis

I have noticed that during longer runs ie a 5k, that my lower back really gives me fits. I do have spondylolisthesis (L5 has slid forward over the sacrum and my L4 is pretty much where the L5 is supposed to be). I do not however experience the same thing when doing sprints or any other exercise for that matter. Should I steer clear of long runs in general or this an issue that I can fix. Any help would be great.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: running with Spondylolisthesis

No ones answered so I'll have a go. Since I have back issues on longer runs too. I've tried heaps of things and am now with a chiro. I have slight scoliosis and the chiro reckons my L5 is fairly disgusting. I also had a facet joint injection early March which didn't seem to do anything.

The chiro reckons he can sort me out. Maybe its worth a go? If he's honest he'll say he can't help you if he can't. Maybe someone here can give you a recommendation?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
Amanda Faulks

Profile:
Re: running with Spondylolisthesis

I love the copy and paste feature...
Hey Josh

I don't know the particulars in your case but one thing I would look at is the length of your hip flexers, especially your psoas. the psoas actually attaches to the anterior surface of the lumbar vertebrae and if it is tight it can cause low back pain even with people without spondylolithesis. Also make sure your Rectus Femoris (the only quad muscle to cross the hip joint) isn't tight, this can pull your pelvis forward increasing the lordotic curve in your lumbar spine. Your IT band and the small muscle that controls it the TFL can also pull the pelvis forward. From the few people I have worked with who had this condition(I just graduated from massage therapy school) the best thing is to stay strong but also flexible, I think deadlifts and squats, done with good form and not to heavy are also good for your condition. The stronger the back the better. oh ya and if you like running keep on running just stretch after. the best thing is to stay healthy in body and spirit, don't give up what you love.
Amanda