CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Ken Shen

Profile:
SS question: why squat 3 x week instead of DL?

This is just an academic question, so bear with me: why does SS have us squat 3 x week as opposed to deadlifting 3 x week? Does the squat stimulate a higher neuroendocrine response because it's somehow a fuller body movement? Larger range of motion? One could make the argument that the DL moves larger weights, plus it's more functional to pick up something from the floor as opposed to putting something on your back.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Re: SS question: why squat 3 x week instead of DL?

Larger range of motion for one, but I believe Rip mentions that the weights that can be used in the deadlift prohibit its frequent use; while the squat is still a heavy lift, it is not as heavy as the DL, and will not take as much out of the lifter.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Ariff Saufi

Profile:

the DL taxes your CNS so much that doing it 3 times a week at high intensity would just smash you. If you can recover from 3 heavy DL sessions per week, more power to you brother!

as for Squats, it works alot of muscles being a multi-joint exercise that it is, but it also serves as a great warmup tool before you engage on the other lifts. Doing deadlifts would leave you gassed and empty for other exercises.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

^^^^

Basically, DL destroys the CNS more making this a recovery vs. frequency issue.

Fact is you can squat 3x5 per week fairly well and recovery enough to make linear gains whereas if you tried 3x5 DL you'd quickly make gains, but then you'd plateau and hit an overreaching/overtraining state very quickly.

DL stimulates a higher neuroendocrine response, btw.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I don't think Ripp says out right that squat is more full body than deadlift, but I think he implies it. Keeping the bar pinned on your shoulders takes a lot of shoulder and arm strength and cordination and then the actual squat uses most the body also. But in short I think it is more full body, someone correct me if I am wrong

-Robert
Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Try it, and you'll find out. I only pull a heavy set of 5 once a month because it's suck an ***-kicker. The other weeks I alternate rack pulls/halting DLs/snatch-grip DL.

Edit: It's a lot harder on my body than my CNS. But it's rough on both. I just don't recover quickly from heavy DLs.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 04-22-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Ken Shen

Profile:

One of the reasons that people have been giving was sort of the impetus to wonder about it. Namely, DLing taxes the CNS heavily, but I thought that was the point of compounding lifting: to stimulate a big neuroendocrine response so that your whole body grows. I realize that DLing max loads 3 x a week would probably be suicide, but couldn't one do sets of lighter DLs, but 3 x a week? It seems sort of funny to say that squats elicit a strong, but not TOO strong, neuroendocrine response, and thus we make them the main everyday lift.

(Just so no one gets the wrong idea and gets angry, I'm not at all saying SS is wrong or that Rip hasn't thought a ton about these things, I'm just curious. I'm still happily making gains with SS as rx'ed.)
Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Shen View Post
It seems sort of funny to say that squats elicit a strong, but not TOO strong, neuroendocrine response, and thus we make them the main everyday lift.

Where is that said? SS says that a novice lifter, with sufficient food and recovery time, can adapt to a linear weight progression squatting 3x per week.

If you sub light DLs, you will be reducing your progress in the squat and wasting your time if your body can't recover/adapt from DLing 3x per week.
And why would these lighter sets of DL's be more beneficial than 5RM squats?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Again, as I said before, too strong a response makes it become:

recovery vs. frequency issue

If your recovery capacity is poor especially driving yourself into the dirt with DLs then your frequency suffers. When your frequency drops below 3x a week your progress is much, much, slower (at least in strength vs conditioning/metcon capacity or really any capacity at all... 50% more strength work with adequate recovery) and crippling soreness persists longer. The point of the program is to make strength and mass gains. With too low a frequency this becomes not optimal.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Ariff Saufi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Shen View Post
One of the reasons that people have been giving was sort of the impetus to wonder about it. Namely, DLing taxes the CNS heavily, but I thought that was the point of compounding lifting: to stimulate a big neuroendocrine response so that your whole body grows. I realize that DLing max loads 3 x a week would probably be suicide, but couldn't one do sets of lighter DLs, but 3 x a week? It seems sort of funny to say that squats elicit a strong, but not TOO strong, neuroendocrine response, and thus we make them the main everyday lift.

(Just so no one gets the wrong idea and gets angry, I'm not at all saying SS is wrong or that Rip hasn't thought a ton about these things, I'm just curious. I'm still happily making gains with SS as rx'ed.)
Ken, dont get me wrong..

but thinking too much about all this wont help as much as trying it out yourself. Just try having 3 heavy DL sessions for a couple of weeks, then have 3 heavy sessions of Squats for a couple of weeks.

report back to us when you're done, maybe you'd sing a different song then.

sometimes it is nesassary to try it out instead of just thinking and pondering the "what if" ...

most people here are talking out of their own experience i believe (i know i am)