CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Jacob McBride

Profile:
Sprint Exercise

Here's a new discovery I made. Not sure what it's called (if it has a name), but if you live near a track, go take a look at it. On the last 100m stretch to the finish line, there should be dashed lines going horizontally across the track every 10 meters (these are markers for the hurdles).

From the finish line, run 20 meters, touch the line, turn around, run back 10 meters, turn around, run 20 meters. Rinse and repeat until you reach the starting line for the 100m dash. You will not enjoy it; it will not be over quickly. After resting for about 5 minutes, I couldn't even do a second set while sprinting; I pretty much had to jog the whole thing. Really all it is is very short (explosive) suicides from hell.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Steven Anderson

Profile:
Re: Sprint Exercise

Sounds awesome, good thing I have a track a couple miles away. How about McBrideisides for a name
Old 04-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Bonny Guang

Profile:

Are the dashed lines really for hurdles? That's funny, most of the tracks I've been on have green triangles for girls' hurdles and yellow triangles for boys' hurdles. Oh well, whatever.

My track coach employs these, haha. They're a b****, but rather awesome. We just call them suicides, but McBrideisides is cool too.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob McBride View Post
You will not enjoy it; it will not be over quickly.
I recognize this as a 300 quote. Even if it's a coincidence, it's a good line to explain suicides...
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Jacob McBride

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Scalf View Post
I recognize this as a 300 quote. Even if it's a coincidence, it's a good line to explain suicides...
aye, you nailed it. And yes, it did describe them. I even gave up my quest to do 4 sets of them after I couldn't do the second one at proper intensity. I gave it up to do a hard 400 and a hard 800 (since I felt I would get more out of those until my sprinting muscles develope more). These things (which I'm not going to name personally since, as I suspected, I'm not the first one to discover them) are actually a LOT worse than suicides. Imagine doing suicides on a treadmill underwater with a car on your back and a dog biting your leg. That's kind of what it feels like* I plan to incorporate these very heavily into my workouts. Though I have to thank Steven Low (who's been the most helpful person I've ever met in my life), for insisting multiple times that I focus my workouts on explosiveness because it was that frame of mind that made me think "holy ****, look what I could do with those lines!"

*this is a gross exageration meant only to make a point that these are WAY crazier than suicides. Suicides are like sex compared to whatever these are called.