CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Tarun Suri

Profile:
Competitive Strength and Weakness

If a CrossFit facility were to be compared against a large organisation, say a Globo Gym, how would the strengths and weaknesses look like. Here's what I have so far:

CF Ile Bizard

Strengths:
-Unique Fitness Concept
-Unified Community
-Non-Traditional Equipment

Weaknesses:
-Lack of Resources
-2,500 sq feet

CS St-Raphael
Strengths:
-42,900 sq feet
-Many different programs
-Strong inflow of clients

Weaknesses:
-Traditional Boring Training Concept

What else could I add?

Last edited by Tarun Suri : 03-30-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Competitive Strength and Weakness

You're saying a weakness of CF St. Raphael is it has the same boring training concepts? I've never been there, but compared to who? I thought you were comparing these places to a globo gym. If a crossfit gym has the same training concepts as a globo gym then maybe they should consider renaming. Or maybe I misunderstood?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Tarun Suri

Profile:

Yeah. Sorry if I didn't make it clearer.

Complexe Sportif St-raphael is a big place (only one location), similar to a US Globo Gym (in terms of size). The only big difference is that it's a not-for-profit organisation, which I'm trying to understand how that will affect the business of a CF affiliate.

Anyways, CF is a unique fitness concept, while CS SR would do hour long cardio or bicep curls. That's the difference I was trying to show on that grid.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Oh I'm sorry. I thought if said CF St. Raphael. I didn't see that it said CS. That's why I was confused.

I've never been to a CF gym unfortunately so I can't help. As such I will refrain from just adding to the disadvantages of globo gyms as that will probably just turn your thread into another one of a thousand "reasons why globo gyms suck" threads.

Last edited by Matt Thomas : 03-30-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

I'd say CF uses traditional equipment if you're going back to the 60s and before where all of the bodybuilders and strongmen used gymnastics, handbalancing, oly lifts and such to work out.... but I guess that's besides the point. But machines as traditional equipment.. meh, that's a no.

Why exactly is your point to make this? I'm really just curious because even if you do get a comprehensive chart there's really no use for it that I can think of at least. I honestly wouldn't see a lack of sq footage as a hindrance unless you need extra space for more clients to work out. On the other hand, 'boring training concept' is really too vague and depends on what aspect or programs you're referring to.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Tarun Suri

Profile:

Specifically, in my business plan, in my market analysis section, I have a competition analysis market where I need to create a Competitive Strength Grid which lists all the strengths and weaknesses of myself as well as my competitors. This is done in order to fully understand my position in the market.

I understand what you mean by traditional equipment but in terms of the way everything else is written, CF is seen as a in your face explosive workout which differers to "traditional" ie the current fad of uneducated workout enthusiasts that perfer to do 2.5 hours of cardio at the gym in order to lose weight like my friend *rolls eyes*