CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Matt Pfeiffer

Profile:
is canned corn a good choice for my carbs?

I picked canned corn because since i have to eat 28 blocks to sustain lean mass, I can't afford to nor can i eat 4 apples every meal or 80 baby carrots. any insight into whether or not canned corn (or canned in general) is a good choice, cause I've measured everything out and haven't lost any weight and have only seen a nominal increase in performance. any suggestions into a good source of carbs that won't break the bank or the wall of my stomach would be greatly appreciated...
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: is canned corn a good choice for my carbs?

Corn is pretty far towards the bottom of the Paleo ladder. I'd advise you stay away from it.

As for your blocks ... At 28 blocks, it doesn't surprise me that you're not losing weight Unless you're a really, really hard gainer, doing 2 WODs a day, and have an insanely high LBM, that's a LOT of food, and probably way too much. Of course, I say this blindly, as you have not said your height/age/weight/LBM/BF%.

You sure you've got your blocks figured out right? If you read CFJ #21 you'll see that the highest it goes is 25 blocks for an "Athletic, Well-Muscled Male."
Old 03-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pfeiffer View Post
I picked canned corn because since i have to eat 28 blocks to sustain lean mass, I can't afford to nor can i eat 4 apples every meal or 80 baby carrots. any insight into whether or not canned corn (or canned in general) is a good choice, cause I've measured everything out and haven't lost any weight and have only seen a nominal increase in performance. any suggestions into a good source of carbs that won't break the bank or the wall of my stomach would be greatly appreciated...
Matt; CORN, are you kidding???????? You are already a walking can of CORN. Corn or some form of CORN is in everything you eat/drink, touch, look at. Then what's not corn tainted has Soybeans in there some where.

Suggest you read Omnivore's Dilemma
www.amazon.com Michael Pollan link is w/f/s

As to carbs, just Google Carbs, look at the Whole Food website, but really, veggies are powerful, few pieces of fruit A WEEK is plenty, and finally, anything in can is been processed to DEATH.

Finally, Carbs are overrated, and if you're not losing weight, chances are your Carb heavy, light on Fat, who knows about your protein.

Log your food into fitday, post, we'll comment.

I'd chew on your arm before I ate corn.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Matt Pfeiffer

Profile:

well, to start off i weight in at 220 lbs and 11% body fat. so i'm sitting at about 196 lean. so its looking like 28 blocks. i break it up 8,8,2,8,2. i use chicken or lean beef for my meals and turkey for my snacks. this is a lot of blocks i know, but is there an ultimate cap at like 25 with what you mentioned before? also, and suggestion to an affordable carb. i want to be in the zone with my balance of carbs, protien, and fats, but i don't want that to put me in the street because i have no more money from buying so many damn veggies.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Kelly Moore

Profile:

"I'd chew on your arm before I ate corn."

Jay - Why doesn't that comment surprise me??

Matt, you're lucky it's not your liver, tongue or kidneys....seriously, take Jay's and Elliot's advice. They are both spot-on.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

If after reading the above comments you still feel the need for 28 blocks of carbs, try sweet potatoes. Bake a bunch of em and keep in the refrigerator.

Jay, too funny!

Last edited by Scott Allen Hanson : 03-27-2008 at 05:43 AM. Reason: added commentary
Old 03-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
"I'd chew on your arm before I ate corn."

Jay - Why doesn't that comment surprise me??

Matt, you're lucky it's not your liver, tongue or kidneys....seriously, take Jay's and Elliot's advice. They are both spot-on.
Kelly, odd you mentioned Kidneys. Just found a package in the back of my freeze, now thawing, along with another tongue.
How's your training going?

I'm going to be up in Ann Arbor on the 18th for Rip's seminar. Come on over, I'll buy ya a steak and a big glass of milk.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

196 * .7 (activity level) = 137 / 7 (grams of protein per block) = 19.6 blocks.

Ya dude, you are eating WAY TOO MUCH.

You need 19-20 blocks. You are basically just eating yourself into submission.

Believe me you need a lot less than you think you need.

Jay pretty much summed it up on why corn is horrible. I'm not so much a hater of fruit as some people are, but my fruit choices tend to be ones that are either berries (frozen are great!) or loaded with fiber, like kiwi (skin on, just remove the hard ends). I also love grapefruit.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #9
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Jay,

I really wish I could make Rip's cert. It's only a 7 hour drive from Madison. Unfortunately I am assigned overtime during that weekend that I haven't been able to get anyone to take.

Weird that you would mention kidneys as I have lamb kidneys thawing for tonight's dinner. I'm going to try a recipe for kidneys in a raw cream sauce that looked interesting. Any suggestions on cooking the kidneys?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Jay,

I really wish I could make Rip's cert. It's only a 7 hour drive from Madison. Unfortunately I am assigned overtime during that weekend that I haven't been able to get anyone to take.

Weird that you would mention kidneys as I have lamb kidneys thawing for tonight's dinner. I'm going to try a recipe for kidneys in a raw cream sauce that looked interesting. Any suggestions on cooking the kidneys?

Dang Kel, little more notice, I could have joined you for dinner tonight, I'm sure your hubby wouldn't have minded. Bummer you can't make Cert, I'msure we'll meet at some point.

I Pressured Cooked the last kidneys, not sure of time, maybe 20-30 minutes. You could try pan frying or evening broiling. I bet Scott at Modern Forager has some ideas and Scotty over at PM menu.

Let me know how they come out.