CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Chad Woolery

Profile:

http://www.posetech.com/pose_method

what’s the general consensus from CrossFit concerning Dr. Romanov’s POSE method of running?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
Matthew Scoble

Profile:
Hi Chad-

I can't speak to the general concensus, but I can tell you that it has helped me a great deal. I bought the book & the DVD, and from those taught myself the basics. The first couple of times I tried it, I really wasn't too sure. Then about the 3rd time out, I found the groove & I've never looked back. In about a month of practicing several days a week, I got comfortable with it. It's an on going process & I'm still trying to improve my technique, but I do think it works, at least for me. By switching to the Pose style of running I was able to take a minute off my time for 1 mile, my knees feel much better after a long run, and I basically just enjoy running a lot more. Just my .02.

Matt
Old 08-19-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
I am running following POSE for about 3 years by now, I think. It is a sound concept. It will take a lot of time and effort to switch to POSE, though. Expect about half a year to really make the switch.

See http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/7449.html for some more info on POSE on this forum, or go to the forum at the main POSE site - it has lots of info.

And see Running Fast and Injury Free (Gordon Pirie) - available online and for free at http://www.gordonpirie.com/ - for anyone considering POSE running, this is required reading!

Cheers,

Christian
Old 08-19-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Chad - use the search function and enter running and or Pose as there have been many previous entries on this subject.

I have the DVD and tape and use the exercises and running methods. The theory is sound and makes perfect sense but requires that you break some old habits. Excellent program and if you stick with it you will run easier and faster.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
Russ Greene

Profile:

Maybe I'm weird, but the change came fairly naturally and quickly for me. I'm sure glad I did it. The hardest part was the sore calves all the time, but I was used to that in a few weeks.

Previously Masquerading as Ross Greenberg
Old 08-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Jason Steele

Profile:
I downloaded Pirie's book (the price for Pose was way too much for my liking)about two months ago. It was fairly easy to adopt the proper running form. I had sore calves for a while too, but it goes away when your muscles adapt to the running. I used to have really bad shin splints from running, but since I changed form, no problems. It is important to buy the proper type of shoes that allow your foot to strike properly (or run barefoot). I personally like the Asics Outback XC (you don't have to put the spikes in). It really does shave time off your runs too.

Get Pirie's ebook, it's free and really, what do you have to lose??

Buck
Old 08-26-2005, 06:52 PM   #7
Theron Mathis

Profile:
I can't quite grasp one of Pirie's techniques. He mentions sitting back like a duck. Keeping the knee flexed. I don't know if I quite get this. Are you supposed to be in this squat position the whole stride.

The image I have is back erect, butt slightly out like you are about to DL or SQ, and keep this form while running.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
Theron Mathis

Profile:
I think I figured it out today. I re-read Pirie's techniques as well as an article of the barefoot running site. It sounds like the hips should almost be pushed somewhat forward so that they are directly beneath your body rather than slightly behind. Then with the knee bend it kind of pushes you forward. Posers let me know if I am getting close.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:22 AM   #9
Jason Steele

Profile:
Theron, the best way to think about it is like this: stand on your tiptoes and lean foward until you have to move your feet to keep balance. See how your knees are flexed? You don't stride out when you are running, you keep your feet under you body, mostly by keeping the flex in the knees. The ball of your foot should strike first, and the rest should hit as your body weight passes over (you should barely hear any sound). If you are running with your knees flexed, the body tends to assume the proper posture. When I first started running the Pirie style, I had to repeat the mantra "bend your knees, don't lean foward".

My wife does it somewhat different, she bends the knees and imagines a string on the top of her head pulling up, so that keeps her posture correct.

Hope that helps

Buck
Old 08-29-2005, 03:23 AM   #10
Jason Steele

Profile:
Run in the proper shoes or barefoot to get the posture correct. Conventional running shoes make it really difficult to do...