CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #1
William Hunter

Profile:
I've recently been trying to put together some track workouts to use as focus days. I have some experience with middle distance running (5k up to half-marathon) but had never done much sprinting until starting CF. While performing one of the 400m/50 squat WOD's on the local track, I was able to spy on the HS track team working out. They seemed to start with a mile run, then some 800's, 400's and then end with multiple 200's.

Is this how many coaches organize practice; starting with longer distances and then moving shorter and shorter? Yesterday I jogged about 3/4 mile, then ran 4 400's, 4 200's and then finished with a couple of 100's. Took me about 30 min. I'm also unsure about rest/work intervals.

Any thoughts or comments about specific workouts would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Ross Hunt

Profile:
What distance do you want to be good at? 40 meters? 100? 200? 400? The long to short workout you're describing was very common in my training as a long distance runner; IMO, WOD-like circuits in conjunction with short sprints for foot/leg conditioning are a more time-efficient way of producing fitness in the events from 800 to 3200 meters.

If you want to be speedy Gonzales, you have to work speed first when you're fresh - warm-up at a low intensity, start short, and do the longer stuff afterwards. What does 'short' mean? Shorter than you think; if memory serves, Charlie Francis considers anything over 60 meters speed endurance rather than speed work. 0-30 meters is acceleration work, and 30-60 is the speed range, more or less.

You can get to Francis's site through a link on the CrossFit main page. It's a gold mine.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
Thanks Ross. There wasn't a specific distance I had in mind. After years of slow 5-10 milers I developed a glaring weakness in power and explosiveness, which Coach's WOD's were so adept at illustrating. It's a weak point I'd like to address. Your comment concerning working speed first really rang true for me. By the time I got to the 100's yesterday I didn't have much left. I'll take your advice and proceed directly into short sprints after a low intensity warm up.

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
I have overlayed a 5k training regimen with CF 3-1 WOD's and have had good success so far (5k time went from 25 to 22 minutes in about 3 months). After 4 mos. of CF I am in a much better place, health and fitness wise, than I ever was doing traditional running. In any case:

** For me, every day is "speed day", whether it's an entire workout dedicated to interval training, or just 6x200m all-out sprints after a normal workout. Doing some kind of sprinting, either for speed or for stride length makes your body remember how to haul a**... especially useful for elbowing out the competition at the end of a 5k ;-)

** For me, on interval day, doing the longer stuff first is psychologically better for me. I think to my self that I've done the "hardest part" even though I know the whole thing is hard. After doing 2x1200m at a fast pace, I look forward to the shorter, 400m repeats, even though they gas me much more than the 1200m's as they are much higher intensity.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
Thanks James, good points as well. I've used 200m sprints both pre and post WOD before, but I've had trouble implementing an entire running program over the WOD.

How many miles a week are you running? I had my mileage up to 30-35 last year, and managed a 24:30 5K. After 3 months of CF and very little extra running I ran a 23:15. I've since let that slip due to focus more on strength and am trying to get back to 23 or hopefully under.

I also see you're in Orlando. I lived in Lakeland for 5 years. I found the running conditions absolutely brutal, so kudos to you for getting out there.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
James Falkner

Profile:
William,

The program I've concocted is based on one advocated by Bob Williams from Team Oregon and published in Runner's World magazine a few years ago. Early in the program you build to a base of about 25-30 miles a week (this includes distances run during interval days, tempo runs, etc). Right now I'm running about 20 mi/week. I am now convinced that the long runs do not subtract all that much from your 5k time. I'm thinking anything over 5 miles for training is a waste of time, so I don't do them, and my 5k times have still dropped.

Yeah, the heat sucks in Orlando, I'm sure Lakeland is just as bad if not worse. If I'm not out the door by 0830 I can forget about a decent performance on my runs. Sometimes if I am late on my runs I'll wait until the evening to do them, but that screws me up, since evening workouts followed by a workout the next morning are brutal, so I have to wait for a rest day to reset. I do my interval training on a treadmill inside, with 1-2% grade (depending on how I'm feeling) so those days are a blessing during the summer :-) My CF garage gym is also open to the elements, so after my runs, I don't get much relief in the garage. Can't wait for the winter. Good luck with CF and running. If you want details of my workouts let me know I'd be happy to share.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
Ross Hunt

Profile:
William,

Don't mention it. I share your background to some extent: Although my high school events were 800-5000 meters, I did more than my share of Long Slow Distance during high school.

I'd like to restate my suggestion to check out the Francis material, though. It gave me some specific ideas regarding the how and why of sprint training (acceleration, speed, speed endurance, special endurance, tempo, etcetera) - but more importantly, it gave me an idea of just how important sprint technique is, and of what it looks like. The most important lesson I took away from his stuff is to treat speed workouts like pure strength workouts; don't try to do them at full intensity after anything else, and don't do them in a fatigued state by taking insufficient rest between reps.

By the way, many of the talking heads of sport science and Internet training wisdom tell me that my max strength limits my speed. I'm neither very strong nor very fast, so I'm inclined to believe them and devote oodles of time to my squats and olympic lifts.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Grady McDonald

Profile:
http://www.gymjones.com/video.php#

Scroll down and watch the movie "Balls"
Old 08-09-2005, 05:10 AM   #9
William Hunter

Profile:
Grady, will do.

Ross, just registered for the C. Francis site.

James, performing the WOD in central FLA takes balls.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:03 AM   #10
Gary John

Profile:

Finally got the Gym Jones videos to work. You have to download quicktime 7 for windows. Dan and I have been trying to figure out how to make them work for a week.

As related to sprinting or what we use to call "up tempo" work, hill sprints can get you there faster. The main reason we keep pushing these, is that it greatly lowers the chance of hamstring pulls. I like Charlie's ideas on anything over 30 yards isn't sprinting. Just add a hill and casually walk back down.

The most amzing thing is, when I do hill sprints, I throw farther. Dan thinks it might have something to do with the posterior chain, or crop circles, but he isn't sure.