CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
Dave Bond

Profile:
Advice for preparing for 1st fight (boxing)

Hello,

I've never boxed before, and I'm scheduled to fight three 1-minute rounds for a charity event in June. The guy I'm boxing is inexperienced, too, but he has wrestled competitively. Although this is mostly for fun, and I won't have to spend much time in the ring, I'd still like to do well. I'm looking for some pointers. Other than GPP, what should I do to prepare?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Old 03-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
Floyd Russell

Profile:
Re: Advice for preparing for 1st fight (boxing)

There are plenty of resources out there for how to tapper. I recommend picking up the book "A Fighter's Heart". It references a lot of different books that i think any fighter would be interested in.

The best advice I could give you is to stay humble. Always assume that the person you're fighting is better than you. All the best fighters in the world (for the most part) are very modest and humble about their abilities.

Your first fight is going to be all adrenaline so just keep breathing and get it in your head that you're in control of all four corners of the ring. Remember that you always learn more about your self from losing than winning.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
John Stirling

Profile:

Dave, what do you do for a living. This charity fight isn't called Guns and Hoses is it?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Dave Bond

Profile:

Floyd, thanks for the book and general advice. I'll try to stay humble.

John, I actually am a FF/paramedic but the fight is not Guns & Hoses. This fight is part of an event to raise money for a rugby club. Maybe I'll sign up for a Guns & Hoses bout if I survive this event!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

June's a good ways away, so you have plenty of time to practice. There are three main things I would focus on (in order of importance):

1) Get heavy (16+ oz.) training gloves, a heavy bag (or just something you can hit), and learn the punches. Focus primarily on learning the jab. Against experienced boxers, jabs are used to score points and to set up heavier punches. Against an inexperienced boxer, though, a jab alone will likely be a force to be reckoned with since they're difficult to see coming and will shake a person not used to taking them. With all your punches, the jab especially, concentrate on making it as quick as possible: snap snap snap your punches, don't let them linger out there.

2) Get some headgear and find someone to spar with. You need to get used to fighting another person. If you go into the match without having sparred, you will either be too afraid to get inside and throw any meaningful punches, or you will get knocked out. Sparring will teach you how to react to various stimulii (i.e. slipping left when he raises his left shoulder) instead of just backing away whenever he flinches.

3) Train your cardiovascular system for the rounds. Fortunately you're only fighting three 1-minute rounds instead of something more brutal like four 3-minute rounds, so you shouldn't get dangerously fatigued if you're in reasonable shape. Still, do things like sprints, jump-rope, hitting the heavy bag, or shadow boxing in splits that mimic the round-rest structure you're aiming for. Then do them again

Hope this helps!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

If he's wrestled I'd expect him to have good conditioning. I've wrestled, never boxed though.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
John Stirling

Profile:

Dave, I just had to ask, I've participated in Guns and Hoses here for the past two years (one win one loss). Anyway, there is really nothing that can prepare you for boxing except for boxing. Some people will say that training on the bag is enough. You HAVE to train on the bag for technique, but the only way to truly prepare yourself is to get in the ring and spar. I'm going to agree with Joe on a lot of points so I hope it's not too redundant, but here's my advice.

1) I would go with 18 oz gloves instead of 16. When you use the extra two ounces and get comfortable with it, you'll feel like your missing gloves when you go to fight with 16 or smaller.

2) OVERTRAIN for the rounds. You have three one minute rounds. Spar with someone for two minute rounds and get to the point that you can comfortably hold your wind for four or five two minute rounds. When you get to the one minutes, it'll be a breeze.

3) Extra shoulder training. Your arms will get real heavy holding your gloves in front of your face for defense and throwing them out for punches. Remember, if he hits your glove, it's not a point. YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR GUARD UP AT ALL TIMES. When you start working the bag, you will be doing repetitions of punches. You will notice the most with the jabs that after many repetitions, your arm will get heavy and your shoulder will start to hurt. Do some extra shoulder work to get prepared for this.

4) Get a pair of boxing shoes if you're going to wear them in the fight. Start training with them because, in my opinion, it's a big difference. Basically it's the difference between wearing crosstrainers and wrestling or other mat shoes. You can even get a pair of wrestling shoes and use those.

5) Spar as much as possible.

6) There is one thing that you have to realize and make your peace with before you even start to spar. YOU ARE GOING TO GET HIT! Too many people, including myself at first, go in thinking that you can get to a point where you don't get hit. It's not going to happen. You're going to get hit, it's going to rattle you and you're going to have to deal with it. Again, if they hit your gloves because your guard is up, it's not a point. Not only is it not a point, but it will not hurt you as bad as getting cold cocked in the face.

7) Practice technique using repetitions and look for things beyond your one-twos. When you get a little more experience, look to follow up your one-twos with a three and a four. Even if it doesn't land, it will keep the opponent on their toes. Remember, the hook is the knockout shot and it is one that you should learn to use effectively. However, you can not effectively use the hook until you learn the set up of the jab and cross.

8) Did I mention that you need to spar a lot?

I love boxing and if you have any other questions that I might be able to answer, please feel free to ask. I'm not a pro but I love the sport and I have been working hard on it for a few years now. Hopefully this will help you get started.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
Dave Bond

Profile:

Thanks for the advice, John. I found a local boxing gym, and I think I might take a few lessons and use open gym time to spar a little. I haven't been in a fist fight since middle school (other than being hit with a cheap shot at a bar when I was 21), so I think that it would be wise to get used to having punches thrown at me before the actual match. I like your idea of over-training. I'll try to do that, and I'll try to develop a repertoire of simple combinations.

I hadn't intended to get into boxing, but I'm kind of getting excited about this! Maybe I'll find a Guns & Hoses event in the greater Seattle area that I can compete in. By the way, are you a firefighter, or a wannabe firefighter (oops, I mean cop )?

Cheers!
Dave
Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
John Stirling

Profile:

Dave, I'm a cop but just remember what they say: God created cops so firefighters would have heroes.

Over training is good to get your wind with you and to get preped. However, as the event nears, you'll want to make sure that you're doing good with the over training and start cutting back to what the rounds are going to be. The reason for this is, if you're so used to fighting two or three minute rounds, you'll get into a pattern of how you pace the round and you won't fight as hard as you need to for that first minute.

Also think of different combinations that people are used to. From new boxer perspective, everyone is going to be expecting the cross to come in right after a jab (hence: one - two). If you want to screw with them I found this combination to be awesome. You have to be fast with it and you can't throw it out a lot but it will put them on the defensive and open them up for more combos.

In case you don't know yet, if you're right handed your jab and hook are thrown with your left hand and your cross is with your right hand. You always here left-right-left-right meaning jab-cross-jab-cross. Try sticking your jab out and immediately throwing the hook. The person might try to catch the punch (ask someone about catch and throw) and then their catch hand is away from the face and your hook will be money.

If you couldn't tell yet, I like boxing.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
Dave Bond

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stirling View Post
Dave, I'm a cop but just remember what they say: God created cops so firefighters would have heroes.
Is that why God created cops? I thought it was so that the guys that failed the firefighter civil service exam could find employment in another line of work

All joking aside, John, thanks again for the advice and insight into the world of boxing. Like I said, I'm getting pretty excited for this fight. One of the CF principles is to "regularly learn and play new sports", so I guess I should keep an open mind about this and see where it goes. Maybe my dabbling will turn into a love for boxing like yours!