CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
Wes Palmer

Profile:
Re: pood?

There are a lot of people on here who always post replies such as "check the FAQ" or "search the board, there are a lot of threads on this". Even with all that being true, its still not that hard to just answer and help some one out in addition to the helpful comments on searching. If you spend the time to read this board then what does it hurt to say 36lbs
Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Seriously folks, if you're going to take the time to write out an obnoxious essay on why a poster is being braindead in regards to searching or finding an answer, why not just give them the damned answer? If it's such a horrific foul, then ignore the thread, don't reply, and hope that the person gets the message- that they should think a bit and search for the answer themselves. I agree with the sentiment, but it seems ridiculous to aggravate oneself writing an annoyed response that amounts to "go find out for yourself" when you could just as easily ignore the question; I know, I know "but I wanted to let them know that they should be thinking critically and actively seeking answers." I agree, but you're not their mother, father, or teacher, so just ignore them or give them an answer in earnest.

And yes, I do know what irony is.

A pood is 16 kg; common variations for the kettlebell include the 1 pood (16 kg), 1.5 pood (24 kg), and 2 pood (32 kg), and they do go on from there. If you're considering buying a kettlebell, there are many great threads in the equipment section, and, depending on your strength, you might start with either a 12 kg, 16 kg, or, if quite strong, a 24 kg bell.

Last edited by Steven Quadros : 07-09-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #13
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
Seriously folks, if you're going to take the time to write out an obnoxious essay on why a poster is being braindead in regards to searching or finding an answer, why not just give them the damned answer? If it's such a horrific foul, then ignore the thread, don't reply, and hope that the person gets the message- that they should think a bit and search for the answer themselves. I agree with the sentiment, but it seems ridiculous to aggravate oneself writing an annoyed response that amounts to "go find out for yourself" when you could just as easily ignore the question; I know, I know "but I wanted to let them know that they should be thinking critically and actively seeking answers." I agree, but you're not their mother, father, or teacher, so just ignore them or give them an answer in earnest.

And yes, I do know what irony is.

A pood is 16 kg; common variations for the kettlebell include the 1 pood (16 kg), 1.5 pood (24 kg), and 2 pood (32 kg), and they do go on from there. If you're considering buying a kettlebell, there are many great threads in the equipment section, and, depending on your strength, you might start with either a 12 kg, 16 kg, or, if quite strong, a 24 kg bell.
Because there are people who are able to use the internet, and those who fail at it. CrossFit isn't about dressing up and candy coating the answers. Read more Rip and you'll see that. So what if some of us take the hard approach. The rest of you can spoon feed people, and we'll just be honest that they need to learn to be able to do things on their own, rather than always relying on others. Google is almost always the answer when looking up simple information. What ever happened to people having a base of common sense?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
Steven Quadros

Profile:

What ever happend to common decency? Rip gets away with being an ******* sometimes because people are coming to him for information, seeing as he is an amazing coach; I don't see the same wealth of experience from many of those on this board that often give annoyed, ****ed off "just fricken use the internet idiot" answers. People come to this board for support and help from the crossfit community, sometimes having little to no experience with crossfit, or the internet, for that matter, and are seeking help. Being a jerk to them does nothing for them, nor for the image of crossfit. I also didn't realize that there was a "crossfit" way to answer questions.

If someone continues to ask silly questions, sure, give them the harsh treatment- I dislike a lack of common sense as much as anyone else; if their first post on the board is a silly question, it's very possible that this is there first venture into the crossfit community or even message boards, and perhaps some measure of control needs to be exercised.

The most knowledgeable people on this board tend to ignore the stupid questions, or leave them to someone with the patience to answer them in earnest. If that isn't you, don't answer; there's no need to give snide remarks, when silence is easier on you, unless you actually enjoy being rude to people for no reason.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
Rayne Gray

Profile:

Steven,

I really appreciate your sentiment, well said.

Rayne
Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #16
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i don't think

read the FAQ

or Google is your friend

are either;

rude

or rants
Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #17
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:

Steven, nice answer. I have to say, if I had happened upon this thread 7-8 years ago when I discovered crossfit I may not have come back.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
Richard Hancock

Profile:

wow, you guys are brutal! We all miss things sometimes. And the best way to start crossfit is to start. Then, as you find out you have shortcomings, fix them. Spend too much time analyzing and planning and it is time wasted, when you could be working out. It would take days of reading to go through all the info that is available to us, thanks to this VERY deep well, and that is not even getting into the journal, yet. so give the guy a break, give him the where, the answer, the whatever, but get off his back.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #19
James Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cooke, Jr. View Post
Steven, nice answer. I have to say, if I had happened upon this thread 7-8 years ago when I discovered crossfit I may not have come back.

I'm glad you've matured, in that case

I kid, I kid!

Someone saying "read the FAQ" is a perfectly legit answer, and not rude at all IMO. Had the original poster done so he would have found the following (which took me all of a couple seconds):

1.9. What's a "pood?" Russian measure used for kettlebells; common ones: 1 pood =36 lbs; 1.5 pood = 54 lbs; 2 pood = 72 lbs. Approx db equivalents are 35, 55, 70

There are bigger things in life to get all bent out of shape over, for real.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #20
David Wood

Profile:

Personally, I'm with Steve . . . I (and I wish others) would answer simple questions that are posted in 100 places already *and* point the poster to the FAQ.

But c'mon, Braddock, you lost all credibility when you (apparently) didn't care enough about your own question to come back and look at the answers for FOUR FREAKIN' MONTHS!! Clearly, you didn't really care about the answer, or, you found it on your own (which is exactly the advice that you've now got your shorts in a knot about).

I don't understand your getting offended in this situation. If anything, the people who posted back at the time deserve your apologies.