CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Max Chiswick

Profile:
Basic WOD/CF questions

1) Why are the WODs different on the main site and across the regional sites? How can we tell if our regional one has as "good" a composition of WODs as the main site?

2) I've intermittently worked out over the past few years, mostly doing random lifts since I only recently found out about SS and CF. Would it be reasonable to do SS for the next 3.5 months until school ends then move on to strictly CF at the beginning of the summer? I realize I will probably have to scale down, but that's fine.

I just know that it's best to have a feel for various lifts and to be in reasonable shape when you begin CF, so doing SS for a while seems like a good way to do that.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Basic WOD/CF questions

yes Max, it's a fine idea.

A lot of people use SS to get a foundation before jumping into the WODs. Get the book as well. Learning the lifts and being familiar with how to do them with good form will take you a long way once you start the WODs, since you won't have to spend the time learning them while doing the WODs.

Even better would be to do some of your SS at an affiliate where you can get some very good form coaching.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Basic WOD/CF questions

1. They're different because there's not one set way to make gains in the 10 aspects of fitness. A lot of the gyms have 'specialities' depending on the experience of the coaches usually biased towards like MMA, gymnastics, kettlebells, etc. so they often incorporate more work in certain areas especially if their clientele base is biased towards those areas as well.

Because your affiliate members have attended the CF certs and should have (hopefully) learned enough to produce good workouts.

2. SS then CF is ok. If you need the fitness do CF or a MEBB hybrid.