CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Has anyone done much work with speed/agility ladders or any other foot speed excercises? If so what are your thoughts on it?

My rugby club has a trainer out leading work-outs twice a week and we do a fair bit of this sort of thing. We have also been doing a lot of CrossFit type stuff, lots of med ball work, ring pull-ups, kettle bells and such. I am loving it so far and was wondering what people's thoughts were on the speed/agility stuff since we don't really see any of that in the WODs.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Joshua Newman

Profile:
My general experience is that practice on agility ladders leads to very fast improvement... at agility ladder drills.

I just haven't seen that much transfer across to sport and real life performance. The core CrossFit movements are functional in large part because they involve fundamental movement patterns; other movement patterns build on top of those fundamentals, so practicing the underlying basic movements yields fast gains across a wide range of 'built on top' movements as well.

I do believe CrossFit workouts would benefit from similarly 'core' movements in the lateral and rotational planes, and here at CF NYC we've been playing around with some possibilities to see if we can find any.

At the same time, I'm pretty sure that agility ladders aren't it, though your mileage may vary.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
It could be that a ladder is a piece of equipment that the majority of people do not have access to, like pools.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I've done some reading that seems to say that footspeed is more a function of force development *cough* O-lifts and plyos *cough* and stride length (flexibility, amongst other things) I do agree that some more lateral motions might be a fine addition.