CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Phil Zito

Profile:
Rotator Cuff rehab

I hurt my left rotator cuff doing snatches and can do nothing overhead please help me with some rehab ideas.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Rotator Cuff rehab

Which cuff did you tear? Supraspinatus?

Did you get it checked so that you KNOW you tore your supraspinatus?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
Hasib Saliefendic

Profile:

Hi Phil,

I posted a while ago about what is working for me and my shoulders: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27658

I highly recommend "The Frozen Shoulder Workbook" by Clair Davies.

A bit from the book that might interest you:

Pain from supraspinatus trigger points is felt primarily as a deep ache in the middle deltoid muscle on the outer side of the shoulder...
Pain is experienced both at rest and throughout any movement that raises the arm.

Also...

The infraspinatus attaches to the back of the head of the humerus, giving the ability to rotate the arm outward...

Rotator cuff damage, even when verified by an MRI, doesn't necessarily require surgery. Trigger point massage actually promotes the healing of small tears because it relieves the constant pulling of the muscle on the tendon. Furthermore, it's possible that tension in the muscle from trigger points could well have instigated the tear in the first place. Stretching should never be part of the therapy when a rotator cuff tear is suspected (Simons, Travell and Simons 1999, 545).

There is so much more info in there.

For my own shoulder problems, I've found that really paying attention to which movements and where in my range of motion I experience pain; where the pain is along with loss of strength, all have helped pinpoint which muscles/trigger points are involved and then working on them.

Good luck!

Hasib
Old 02-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I agree with Steven Low. You do want to get a diagnosis. There's a method and "schedule" to rehab. You need to know if it's a tear, or irritation or other thing. Snatches snatched me out of upper body work for a week.
About the book, "The Frozen Shoulder Workbook". I am reading it, and there's valuable information in it. It doesn't replace getting a diagnosis, but, it presents a way of addressing a possible root cause of shoulder issues. Yesterday, I had my first Myofacial Release Treatment. That is not trigger points, per se, but, tender points can indicate other conditions that can include trigger points as well. If you do anything like that, go to a reliable practitioner before experimenting on yourself. Physical Therapy is a good place to get treatment, and some PT's do Myofacial Release, and Trigger Point Therapy. Good Luck, and read the myriad of shoulder threads we have.