CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
Pete Acker

Profile:
Dairy and Whey Protein

Hi all,

I am trying to lessen my dairy intake, and wanted to know if whey protein powder is considered 'dairy' in that respect? I'm getting rid of cheese, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, and lessening the ice cream... just need to know if I should quit whey protein while I'm at it, and can't seem to find anything by searching.

Thanks for the help,

Pete
Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:
Re: Dairy and Whey Protein

well... whey protein is made of milk. although all casein is removed... i guess it is up to you to decide if it is dairy. BTW I do not know the reason why you remove dairy (I do not consume them either) but cheese is the only diary product for which I make an exception...
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
well... whey protein is made of milk. although all casein is removed... i guess it is up to you to decide if it is dairy. BTW I do not know the reason why you remove dairy (I do not consume them either) but cheese is the only diary product for which I make an exception...
Do you eat whey? The only dairy I eat is Ice Cream on Weds and whey if you count that.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Joseph Gammon

Profile:

Why stop the dairy totally? I am cutting down a lot for Zone and trying to limit it to one meal a day and the evening snack (if I have no other options). It is tougher on me than I thought. It was a lot easier to give up the massive quantities of bread that I used to eat than the dairy. I guess I am having a harder time trying to find protein substitutes that I like.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Hey Joseph,

It took me a while to take out dairy. The only "dairy" I still eat is whey in the morning because I don't always want to eat 4 eggs. I have found that if you are going to cut things out do it slowly and only if you feel like it will improve performance and make you feel better. In 4 months of crossfit this was my transistion.

Month 1: Crossfit - eat more salad...no other changes
Month 2: Crossfit - make a protein shake and eggs for breakfast every morning, eat even more salad
Month 3: Crossfit - Abs diet (from men's health - its a good starting point)
Month 3.5: Crossfit and the zone diet. Some dairy is still happening but very little
Month 4 - Crossfit, Zone and Paleo. I probably cheat twice a weekish, but my general caloric intake is under 2000 calories and I have drastically improved my physical conditioning.

If I had tried to implement all of these changes at once, I would have become too frustrated. Take it slowly. If you like dairy and can still digest it, I say go for it. I don't digest it well, so eventually it came out of the diet.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

I am actually eating more dairy, since getting serious about the Zone.

My AM PWO drink is 8 oz 2% milk.

I eat greek yogurt or 2% cottage cheese almost every day for my 3 PM snack.

I HAVE cut out most solid cheese. SO calorie dense, and so much fat. I will use .5 oz low fat feta, or 1 oz part skim mozzarella for a protein block.

I really enjoy dairy, and can see no ill effects.

So I would ask why you feel the need to do without it. If it causes problems, then of course, ditch it. But I have known many older, healthy folks that consume a lot more dairy than I do.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I know I am not eating diary because it is generally considered food adults should not eat. This "knowledge" has been out there forever but I never found time to verify it. There was an article that milk and other diary products (except cheese) caused excessive accumulation of mucus in adults, but I read it ages ago and can't even remember where I read it first time. Also cheese was recommended as one of the foods that should not be removed from the diet according to Dr. Bass for people who are following very strict vegetarian diet. There was an article about 3 generations of vegans who moved away from civilization and created a strict vegan community and that all 3 generations eventually had huge health problems (especially heart). And adding cheese and I believe eggs to their diet helped to solve all of their problems. On the side note, not really related to diary, one of the recommendations to people who eat mostly veggies and have trouble getting enough macro and micro nutrients was to use mixer for salad preparation and eat salad in paste form because it is almost impossible to eat enough veggies in their whole form, humans just do not possess stomach big enough for that.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

oh yeah, I do eat whey from time to time, mostly as a post workout meal. Frozen fruits mix with pure ("natural") protein.