CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
Tom Nguyen

Profile:
"cutting" weight for 1st O-lift competition

I'm thinking of doing my first Olympic lifting competition in March - the PWA championships:

http://www.lifttilyadie.com/PWA/08PWAFlyer.htm (WFS)

I'm wondering if people in the lower weight class actually try to cut weight for these events? I walk around at 138=62.7kg - is it worth it to try to cut down to 62kg? At 62kg, based on last year's result, I would do decent. (57+77=134 total). At 69kg, i'd be pretty far down there on the list.

Lastly, what age does the MASTERS division start?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: "cutting" weight for 1st O-lift competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nguyen View Post
I'm thinking of doing my first Olympic lifting competition in March - the PWA championships:

http://www.lifttilyadie.com/PWA/08PWAFlyer.htm (WFS)

I'm wondering if people in the lower weight class actually try to cut weight for these events? I walk around at 138=62.7kg - is it worth it to try to cut down to 62kg? At 62kg, based on last year's result, I would do decent. (57+77=134 total). At 69kg, i'd be pretty far down there on the list.

Lastly, what age does the MASTERS division start?

Thanks
Yes, you want to be in the 62 cat, since you're so close.

See :http://www.mastersweightlifting.org/ for all other questions. Link is w/f/S
Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #3

Profile:

Yeah, .7 kg is nothing. You'll lose that unintentionally the night before simply from nervous energy. It's about 24 oz of water.

Masters starts at 35.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Five days before my first meet I was freaking out at 63.5 kg when I had to be 63! The morning of the meet I weighed in at 62.1kg!! Go figure. Just cut out excess water and reduced salt for a few days!!

probably though, like Greg said, nervous energy!!

Good luck, it is so awesome to be on the platform. The world could pass you by and all you would notice is the freaking barbell!!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 AM   #5
Gavin Jones

Profile:

Like people have said in other posts, it is extremely likely you will lose the .7 just from the whole 'turning up to a meet' process:
  • You will most likely have to travel to the venue, meaning your zone (i hope) meals won't be quite as good as being at home
  • You will have nerves and most likely go to the toilet abit more than usual
  • No matter how hard you try you will be a little dehydrated partly due to the above points

Gav