CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Jason Aquilino

Profile:
Handicap Safety Grab Bar for Pull Ups

Anyone have any thoughts on using a handicap safety grab bar like you see in bathrooms for a pull up bar?

http://www.lockhouse.com/site/ss-smooth_profile.html

They supposedly hold 300 lbs and they seem to have a nice look to them. I would be doing this on the outside frame of an unfinished doorway in a basement and not against a wall, so clearance wouldn't be an issue.

I thought this seemed like a great idea but didn't see any reference to this anywhere so I was wondering if I was missing a fault in my logic. They are about the same price as a retail PU bar but I've read complaints that those spin and are cheap. This wouldn't spin and has a nice finished look to it.

Thoughts?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Jonathan Rich

Profile:
Re: Handicap Safety Grab Bar for Pull Ups

That looks like a big diameter to have to grip for pullups, but I must admit I think about the same thing everytime I see them.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
John Biddle

Profile:

I use a bar like that (now I actually use 2 - previously used 1, but the ones I have are just a little narrow - using 2 allows a variety of grip widths). BW about 200. I generally don't try to kip but have attempted that on them without problem. They are possibly a fraction thicker than a normal bar - but not so much that I've noticed any issue.

I have the bars screwed into blocks of wood that are in turn screwed into the bottom surface of a heavy hardwood supporting beam (the screws used were a number of 10mm by 60mm bolts I had, put into slightly undersized holes). I probably should tighten the bolts periodically, but they've been strong for several years even without doing that. The blocks of wood bring the bar lower (so it's more easily reached for jumping pull-ups and by children, and to allow more headroom above it) but aren't essential - I previously had the single bar screwed directly into the supporting beam.

Only rider - these bars were taken out of the bathroom in a 40 - 50 year old house. They are probably at least 25 years old. I don't know whether they might be more solid than you would get today. Most likely the bar you're looking at will be strong enough and it will be the method of connection to whatever you connect it to that will be the weak point. If you're concerned, grip out near the elbows of the bar (assuming it has them) rather than right in the middle.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
John Biddle

Profile:

Sorry, should have added that the bars I have had 2 holes through the round base plates for attaching them to the wall, beam or whatever. Depending on how the ones pictured are intended to be attached, you should be able to drill holes through the base plates for that purpose.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Jason Aquilino

Profile:

Thanks for your reply. They actually make these in 1.25" and 1.5" diamerters. I think the 1.25" would be perfect. I believe these have 3 if not 4 holes on each side for screwing into the wall. I am now thinking of hanging a 30" bar on the header above an unfinished doorway. I think 6-8 lag bolts as thick as possible should hold this fine. <BR>

Next question, these come in different grips (smooth, knurled, preen) - if I do a grip other than smooth, am I asking for blisters, or would the extra grip be useful?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Craig Brown

Profile:

Jason-

Just pulleed out the Grainger catalog ( www.grainger.com w/f/s) and they have straight grab bars tested at 1000# the 36" one is 51.25 #5e959. At that rating seems like no issues at all.

The 300# rating one I wouldn't use...190# kipping (badly) might well be too much for it.

Craig
Old 02-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I don't like the safety margin at 300 pounds, not for anyone kipping/weighted/large.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Jason Aquilino

Profile:

Good find on the 1000lb tested. The 300 lbs I mentioned came from the fact that the ADA requires 300lbs. That doesn't mean these will all crap out at 301#s. All of the ones that I have looked at are 18 gauge stainless steel. I imagine that like a previous commentor said, the screws or the 2x4 door frame will crack before the stainless steel bar does. That is of course true of anything you screw between a door frame in order to do P.U.s. I like the look of these things and the 1000#s was a nice catch. I'm ready to buy.